Bee Movie Revival

An article, but every time you see the word bee, there's a youtube video link to a Bee Movie meme

Bee Movie Revival

Photo by The Bee Movie

Photo by The Bee Movie

Photo by The Bee Movie

Maria Koliopoulos, Graphics Editor

The Bee Movie is, if you will, all the buzz as of late, going viral in various forms of Youtube video satire, mostly in the last month.

The Bee Movie is a Dreamworks animated motion picture that came out in 2007.

A bee named Barry B. Benson (voiced by Jerry Seinfeld, who actually co-wrote the thing) meets a human florist named Vanessa (voiced by Renée Zellweger). They forge an interesting, ehem, romance, whilst Barry goes about the world suing humans and liberating bees.

My simple question is this: Why now?

The Bee Movie has, in fact, been around for nearly ten years. As recently as an upload on November 17, 2016, videos like ‘the entire bee movie but every time they say bee it gets faster’ by users like Avoid at All Costs bring this movie back to popularity.

What causes such an immense resurgence of a movie that came out when we were aged from five to nine, and what do we have to say about it?

According to one Skutt Catholic student, this meme is similar to a myriad of others. “Well, it’s the internet,” junior Trevor Fullinfaw says. ‘Things come and go, but some stuff, like movie references and things like that, get recycled and become popular again.”

To others, however, it isn’t so simple.

“The Bee Movie is an eternal meme, extant since the dawns of time,” contributes junior Chris Kujawa. “It’s been under our noses all this time, but it’s just now coming to fruition.” Referencing the movie itself, Kujawa continues: “This whole time I thought the Bee Movie was just a fever dream, but these memes have opened my eyes. They caused me to realize the vision that has been plaguing the back of my consciousness since 2007, a memory of a poor old lady being pinned to a table and having guns pointed at her because she was using honey in her tea, was indeed not just a figment of my imagination.”

Perhaps the memes are created in a lame attempt to soothe our minds and their traumatic memories of this rather incomprehensible movie.

Senior Becky Snowden recalls the first time she experienced the wondrous train wreck that is The Bee Movie. “I went [to see the movie] with my summer day camp group, and all I could think about for the whole movie was how a bee stung me once, and how that would be taken up legally. Would that be a suicide or was it self-defense; did I kill the bee? No one knows,” says Snowden. “My fourth grade-ish self-had a crisis over bee law,” Snowden concluded.

It seems as though The Bee Movie has made such a comeback due to a certain amount of childhood strife. From bee stings, to movie scene memories, perhaps the memes have some sort of therapeutic quality for some. Ultimately, however, this is just another glorious addition to our generation’s extensive catalog of online comedy.

Maria Koliopoulos

Maria became a member of The Flightline in January of 2016. She is a senior this year involved in show choir at Skutt Catholic and is probably climbing a tree or drawing outside of school. You can email her at [email protected]