• Big Hawks! Tomorrow we will being meeting up with your Little Hawks at 9:15 for a QR activity. Please bring your iPads to the gym.

• SkyHawks in the City registration is now open!

• Sign ups for stage crew and other jobs will be at the ITS meeting after school on Monday in Mr. Wright's room, A155.

• Get your free 25th Anniversary T-Shirts During Lunch!

• Angels prayer groups meet again on Thursday morning at 6:45 am in the Campus Ministry office for prayer, friendship, and doughnuts.

• All students interested in Vivace Band or Crew, please stop and see Mr. Storm in the music room by Tuesday, August 22nd.

• Set construction has begun for the fall play! Come to the stage after school at 3:30 and get involved.

• Any young man interested in joining the Guardians is invited to attend an information meeting on Thursday Aug. 17 @ 7am in Mr. Zavaletta's room.

• SkyHawks for Life will be hosting their first Life Nite on Tuesday Aug. 22 @ 7pm in the Student Center.

• Anyone interested in playing some chess, come to D104 Thursday, August 17th

Conspiracy Theorist Runs for Congress

Steven Laird runs as the libertarian candidate and also believes Fukushima's radiation is slowly killing us

Photo by Peter Quinn

Photo by Peter Quinn

Peter Quinn, Opinion Editor

Nothing would make this election any more interesting than an anime-loving conspiracy theorist running for Congress. Steven Laird is a bus driver from Omaha that has been running for Congress since 2002 as a Libertarian candidate. As you probably have noticed, he has never been elected. There is more that has contributed to this besides the fact that he is a third party candidate.

image5

Taken from stevenlaird4congress.com. I enjoy how he added “Don Bacon has won good luck.”

A fellow member of The Flightline, Molly Gubbels, is to thank for discovering this website. Joe Bean then got hold of this, and the word soon arrived for me to visit stevenlaird4congress.com.

Now, Mr. Laird has explained that he was a computer programmer for seven years. Upon entering his website, though, you will notice it looks like a Word document with a blue background slapped on. This masterpiece is filled with his strong views on Fukushima – which was a nuclear disaster in Japan, so I’m not sure what this has to do with the U.S. Congress – his economic plan, and the story of his not-so-happy life. After striking this gold mine, we proceeded to interview Mr. Laird. Twice.

Steven Laird was holding a public meeting at a community center so that anyone and everyone could ask him questions. We arrived 30 minutes after the gathering was supposed to start, so we were worried about strolling in extremely late; however, when we walked into the room, we saw an older man dressed like Indiana Jones leaning up against a table. This was quite sad given the fact that we were the only three people there even though we arrived 30 minutes late. Within 30 seconds, we were being handed cards that had a map of the U.S. with numerical values in each state, representing the Geiger counts per minute (A Geiger counter measures radiation). Laird explained that the rising radiation is going to make it unsafe to be outside and cause a nuclear winter rather than global warming. Why this is his basis in running for Congress? I do not know. This man is the epitome of conspiracy theorists.

image6

Taken from stevenlaird4congress.com. I would like to note how he seems to neglect the entire right side of his website.

He proceeded to talk about how terrible the national debt is, but he did not present a plan on how to progressively fix it. Rather, he began to explain that debt isn’t real and that it is an imaginary concept used to strike fear into people. To top off this exemplary philosophy on United States economics, he said that we should switch our currency to a far more stable form: bitcoins. Many of you may now be regretting that you didn’t vote Mr. Laird into Congress.

Given the fact that Adam Lafond, Joe Bean, and I were the only three people to visit his public meeting, we expected that he would get a minuscule amount of votes. To our surprise, Mr. Laird miraculously received over 9,000 votes. Based on his track record of running every year since 2002, though, I expect to see Mr. Laird participating in the next election in 2020.

To conclude the interview, we asked Mr. Laird if he was a fan of anime for a bit of fun. Although we expected him to be confused and have no idea what anime is, he, to our surprise, proclaimed that he is a huge fan. Laird has been collecting anime since the ‘80s, and he and his wife both dress up as their favorite anime characters for Christmas cards (I tried to get my hands on one, trust me).

Although Steven Laird may not be fit for Congress, he is a very nice man and arguably the most interesting person I’ve ever interviewed. If you’re into bitcoins, anime, and becoming an expert in the half-life of nuclear radiation in the air, vote Steven Laird next election.

P.S. – I highly suggest giving his website a look : http://stevenlaird4congress.com/