The Mystery of the Football Player’s Bleached Hair

How this tradition was established

Photo by Jimmy Boler
Side view of the bleached hair

Bob Killgore, Posters Coordinator

As Skutt Catholic students walk down the hallway during the football playoffs, they notice how some students have bleached hair. Even though they know that football players do this, they still wonder why they do it. They also are curious about the story behind this famous tradition. After three years of noticing this, I finally decided to get to the answers I was looking for.

The tradition started four years ago during the 2013 season when the football team made it to the state playoffs. They celebrated and decided that it would be a good idea if they bleached their hair. The players did have reasoning beyond this idea and it was to signify that we were a team.

This was also a team bonding experiment. It was a sign of unity and showed that they had one common goal: win state. “I was surprised when I saw the team with bleached hair”, said head coach Matt Turman. “I didn’t have anything to do with it but it was an interesting idea”, Turman continued.

After the 2014 team made the state playoffs, they decided to bleach their hair like the 2013 team. They wanted to follow in the footsteps of the 2013 team and it worked. In Memorial Stadium, the 2014 Skutt Catholic Football team won the Class B state championship, just like the team before them did.

“After a while people around the Skutt area started to catch on that if you saw a group of guys with bleach blonde hair they were Skutt football players so they would talk to us about the games and wish us luck”, former Skutt Catholic football player Shane Miller said. “It was even more fun because the first couple years we actually won state with it”, Miller continued.

After both the 2013 and 2014 team bleached their hair, it has become a big tradition for the football team. They do it every year they make state and is one of the most recognizable traditions a Skutt Catholic athletic problem does. It’s a creative way to show you’re part of the football team and it’s success.

This tradition won’t end quickly and will stay around for a while. “I think the tradition will continue for a long time and way beyond me time here”, said junior football player Andrew Bleyhl. So there you have it folks, the bleached hair of the football players explained. Now that you know the story behind the bleached hair, go and support your SkyHawks against Norris Friday night.

Bob Killgore - Sports Editor

Bob joined The Flightline in January of 2016. His interests include cross country and track. He enjoys watching MLB baseball and his favorite baseball team is the Arizona Diamondbacks. You can email him at [email protected]