Remember Religion

A call to utilize Skutt Catholic's forgotten daily mass.

Remember Religion

Skutt Catholic's chapel where daily mass is held.

Photo by Hope Stratman

Photo by Hope Stratman

Photo by Hope Stratman

Hope Stratman, Copy Editor

Last Wednesday, I attended Skutt Catholic’s daily morning mass for the first time this school year. The grand total of attendees racked up to four: Zav, two adults I didn’t know, and me.

In a school of around 720 students, I was the only one there.

It’s not like I was surprised by this. I went to daily mass around 10 times over the course of last school year, and I noticed that the number of regular student churchgoers was about four. With a couple of those regulars graduated and show choir practice coinciding with mass on the day that I went, the sparse turnout was no shock.

Although I had expected it, being the sole student representative at this mass made me think. We go to a school in which, at least from what I have observed, most students identify as some degree of Catholic. We’re all provided with an opportunity to celebrate mass, this super integral part of our faith, every single school day. Despite this, I’m willing to bet that the number of students at daily mass – excluding sports or activity teams – rarely rises above five, tops.

In high school, It’s easy to forget about our relationship with God, and I can attest to that. Between school, homework, friends, extracurriculars, my obsessive Hamilton addiction, and whatever else I can squeeze into my day, I barely have time to think, let alone pray. Other things seem more pressing and immediate, so I push God off to the side and tell myself that I’ll get to Him later.

From what I’ve observed, this seems to be a trend among Skutt Catholic students, as evidenced by the measly turnout at daily mass. But that’s exactly what I think we need to correct.

I don’t want to press my religious views onto anyone; I think that everybody, Catholic or not, should be allowed to pursue and hold their own beliefs. All I’m suggesting is this: if you are Catholic, have been feeling distant from God, and want to deepen your spirituality, give daily mass a try. It’s an incredible resource that I think is heavily underutilized by the student body. Every school day, we get the chance to see and, in a way, speak to this amazing and perfectly loving being that created us. Personally, I think that’s pretty fantastic.

Since I’ve spent the last few minutes of your life pushing you to go to daily mass, you can expect to see me there, right? Unfortunately, no. In this case, I am entirely hypocritical. I have before-school meetings two to three out of the five days of the week, and on the other days I’ll probably be frantically trying to get homework done. But I’m going to be honest, there will be days that I won’t have anything going on, but nevertheless I might still choose not to go to mass. This is because, well, I’m not perfect. I let things get in the way of God.

But I’m working on my relationship with Him – and so should you. If you feel that going to daily mass is the right step for you, I encourage you to try it out. It could become the best part of your day.

Hope Stratman - Features Editor

Hope became a member of The Flightline in August of 2016. She is a senior this year involved in activities including Speech and FBLA. Outside of school, she enjoys lists, photography, and naming inanimate objects. You can email her at [email protected]