Proud of My Perfect Attendance

Insight on Skutt Catholic's superfan, Adam LaFond.

Proud of My Perfect Attendance

Adam LaFond shows his dedication surpasses all others.

Photo by Adam LaFond

Photo by Adam LaFond

Photo by Adam LaFond

Peter Quinn, Opinion Editor/ Staff Reporter

Are you worried that your parents won’t be at your football game four hours away? Worry not, Adam LaFond will be there. Adam is an avid superfan of Skutt Catholic football. He has attended every single SC varsity football game since his freshman year. After conducting an interview with him, I gained some insight on why he supports the football team so strongly and how to get other students to have the same passion as him.

“Do you attend any sporting events other than football games?” I asked.

“No, I don’t go to any other sporting events,” he responded.

He only believes in attending football games. He also explained that he went to every single JV football game when his class was playing in them. Now that’s dedication.

“What motivated you to attend these games?” I asked.

“Simply for the fame and recognition of my attendance.”

If you’ve ever been in the student section of a Skutt football game, you have probably heard Adam shouting profoundly at the refs, as well as leading bizarre cheers.

Back during the playoffs in 2014, there was a game in Scottsbluff, around 7.5 hours away, which Adam attended as shown in the featured image. He left school around 11 a.m. and drove 7.5 hours straight there. Once he arrived, he watched Skutt Catholic stomp their opponent. After, he drove an additional two hours to Ogalla and stayed at a hotel, only having to wake up to finish his drive back. This was an extreme trip for any fan.

The weak cheers and poor attendance at football games have been recurring problems at Skutt Catholic. Being the super-fan that he is, this really grinds Adam’s gears. When I asked him what those who don’t attend or cheer should do, he responded, “Honestly, you should transfer.” He is very passionate about school spirit at sporting events, or maybe just football games.

Adam proceeded to give many suggestions on how we could motivate other students to have the same passion as him. “For one, you need to explain to them that sports are important. Next, give incentives to go to away games, such as extra credit in Honors Pre-Calculus and Honors Spanish V.”

So next time you’re debating on driving two hours to the game Friday, just remember that you won’t be alone.