• Snow Day tomorrow 1/11/18

Your Memories May Be Wrong

How the Mandela Effect may be altering your entire reality

A confused Hans Espiritu can't process the memory  of the Berenstein Bear books.

A confused Hans Espiritu can't process the memory of the Berenstein Bear books.

Nessa Woosley, Staff Morale Editor

Imagine waking up one day and discovering some of your memories never happened. The theory of the Mandela Effect is based on mass amounts of people having the same memory about a detail, place or event that is incorrect or never happened at all.

The first “memory” that created the whole Mandela Effect was Nelson Mandela, South African anti-apartheid revolutionary and their eventual president, dying during his imprisonment in the 80’s, long before his presidency and his actual death in 2013. This obviously sparked interest as a large number of people recalled news footage of his funeral but no actual proof has surfaced.

Another mis-remembered death was that of Muhammad Ali, probably the greatest boxer of all time. Lots of people have vivid memories of him passing away in the 90s, rather than in June of this year, 2016.

Deaths aren’t the only examples of this theory, the Disney classic Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs was a childhood favorite which contains a famous line remembered incorrectly. The iconic phrase we all know and love  as “Mirror, mirror on the wall…” is not what the Evil Queen actually says to her magical Mirror. Instead, “Magic mirror on the wall…” is the line in the movie now, but to many, it doesn’t sound quite right.

However, in Disney storybooks of Snow White, the Queen actually does say “Mirror, mirror on the wall…” which confuses the theorists trying to debunk the Mandela Effect. “I guess I just remembered that wrong, which doesn’t surprise me,” Rebecca Snowden responded, unfazed by the discrepancy.

The most recognizable example of the Mandela Effect may be the Berenstain Bears. As a child, the “Berenstain Bears” books were essential to the bedtime ritual. Most people clearly remember the books as being Berenstein rather than Berenstain. “B-e-r-e-n-s-t-e-i-n Bears is how I remember it,” senior Hans Espiritu recalled. This particular “memory” ignited the Mandela Effect theory as a trending topic on Twitter and other social media sites.

Another childhood discrepancy is the appearance of the Monopoly Man, the face of the game. Remembered as a rich older man with a white moustache, schnazzy monocle, and a black top hat, he never actually had a monocle according to the makers of the game. “I swear I’ve seen him with a monocle,” Elia Healy stated.

There are many more instances like these which people remember differently from others. It makes you think, what other memories do you have that could be wrong?