Will a 108 Year Streak Come to an End?

Students and staff weigh in on whether the Cubs will win it all

Bob Killgore, Posters Coordinator

America’s, and Skutt Catholic’s, favorite lovable losers might not be cursed if this MLB postseason goes to plan. That’s because the Cubs are favorites to win it all, for the first time in 108 years. But how are Skutt Catholic fans feeling heading into this person?

The Cubs have the longest World Series drought of all, with their last  World Series win was in 1908, a 108 year-long drought. The Cubs have been to the postseason before in the years of 1945, 1984, 2003, and 2015. The 2003 postseason featured the infamous Bartman play and the Cubs were 5 outs away from going back to the World Series in the NLCS, but blew the lead and lost the series.

However, this year’s Cubs team gives the fans reason for hope for long-awaited World Series Title. The Cubs owned the best record in the majors this year, which was 103-58. They were the only team that won over a hundred games and won their division by a whopping 17.5 games. What makes this Cubs team so special is that they have the best pitcher in the league, Jake Arrieta, and features two MVP candidates, third baseman Kris Bryant and first baseman Anthony Rizzo. They also have a great defense and one of the best rotations in the game.

To win the World Series, you must have a bonafide ace, great starting pitching, a good offense, a great defense, and a good bullpen. The Cubs have all of this and have a great chance to win a championship. “It would be hard to put into words what a World Series championship for the Chicago Cubs would feel like” said history teacher Marty Plum. “I have been a Cubs fan since I was 7 years old, and I have lived through 1984, 1989 and of course, Steve Bartman in 2003” continued Plum. “I think for Cubs fans, we have this idea of how we would react, but until you experience it, you don’t really know how you would react” continued Plum.

The infamous Steve Bartman incident occurred on Game 6 of the NLCS during the eighth inning of the Chicago Cubs and Florida Marlins game. The Cubs were leading the series 3-2 and were 5 outs away from going to the World Series. A ball was hit towards the left field stands and several spectators tried to catch it. One of them was Steve Bartman. The Cubs outfielder, Moises Alou leaped for it but Bartman deflected the ball. Alou couldn’t make the catch and pointed at the stands angrily. The Cubs would then give up eight runs in the inning and lost the game 8-3. The Cubs would then lose Game 7 and were eliminated. This event is called the “Steve Bartman incident”. If you want to learn more about the Bartman incident, check out the 30 for 30 films, Catching Hell, produced by ESPN.

What also helps the Cubs World Series title chances is the experience the year got from last year. The young core of the Cubs were just rookies then and experienced postseason baseball for the first time. They now know how to handle the pressure and won’t be daunted by tough road games in the postseason. “I don’t think the Cubs will crack because most if not all them were in the playoffs last year and got experience, senior Tommy Koenig said.

However, there are a lot of Cubs haters out there who want the Cubs to lose this postseason. The Cubs haters want them to lose because it would be funny and ironic. The teams with the best record in the regular season have failed to win the World Series 9 out of the last 10 years and Cubs haters would found it hilarious if they failed. The dream scenario for Cubs haters would be for them to make it to the World Series and for them to make it to Game 7 of the series. The Cubs would then proceed to lose on a walk home run and make the haters day. If that happens, it would be the most painful loss in Cubs history.

The Cubs have the best chance to win the World Series but who knows, maybe a different team like the Giants will win. So enjoy this while you can because it is going to be a great postseason.

Bob Killgore - Sports Editor

Bob joined The Flightline in January of 2016. His interests include cross country and track. He enjoys watching MLB baseball and his favorite baseball team is the Arizona Diamondbacks. You can email him at [email protected]