Ten Dollars for a Year of School

Skutt Catholic Students take initiative to help fund education in Haiti

Haitian+boy+eating+a+sandwich+in+his+village+church+

Ten Dollars for a Year of School

Haitian boy eating a sandwich in his village church

Photo by Susie Bacca

Photo by Susie Bacca

Photo by Susie Bacca

Kayley Anderson, Editor-in-Chief

Ten dollars. For most people, that’s no big deal. Perhaps it may buy two school lunches, or two trips to Juice Stop, but it’s also the cost of sending a child in Haiti to school for an entire year. A group of Skutt Catholic students, after returning from Haiti and learning this information, decided to do something to raise funds to help educate these kids.

Haiti is a third world country without competent infrastructure and a dropout rate of over 50 percent before the fifth grade. “Education is important in third world countries like Haiti because education is the first step towards breaking the cycle of poverty,” said trip sponsor Rachel Twist. Schooling not only helps break down the cycle of poverty but also helps rebuild the infostructure of the country.

design of front of shirt

design of front of shirt

design of the back of shirt

design of the back of shirt

A group of students came back and decided to try to make a real difference in the lives of the children they encountered. They wanted their idea to extend beyond just Skutt Catholic.

“We spent a long time trying to come up with something tangible that we could do to raise money,” said senior McKenna Kirkpatrick. “The shirts were a good solution because they are cute and appeal to many people.”

The shirt was designed to reflect the united nature of the Haitian people with clasped hands on the back and the phrase “Hope for Haiti” in both English and French Creole. The front also features an outline of the country and comes in grey, light blue, and coral.

So far the group has sold over 50 shirts and raised nearly 1,000 dollars through gofundme. In total, this will allow just about 90 kids to attend school for at least a year. Every kid counts and every dollar helps support their education, so please consider buying a shirt or donating via the links below.

Shirts: https://pogo.undergroundshirts.com/collections/hope-for-haiti

Donate: https://www.gofundme.com/2s2z24s