Do Not Be Unaware of This Album

The 1975's most recent album “I Like It When You Sleep, for You Are So Beautiful Yet So Unaware of It” hits the mark in every conceivable way

Do Not Be Unaware of This Album

Photo by www.josepvinaixa.com

Photo by www.josepvinaixa.com

Photo by www.josepvinaixa.com

Lara Keane, Guest Writer

A bright, iridescent light from the moon, darkness surrounding a barely lighten Fort Street, the slightly cold air rushing through the windows of my Honda Civic Coupe and the polished, but intoxicating, unknown modulation of “I Like It When You Sleep, for You Are So Beautiful yet So Unaware of It” by The 1975 ringing through my ears at maximum volume. This describes a typical 11 p.m., Saturday night car ride with yours truly.

The 1975 is an English, indie rock band that was formed in Wilmslow, Cheshire. Matthew Healy, Adam Hann, Ross MacDonald and George Daniel are the group’s four members. Their most recent album, “I Like It When You Sleep, for You Are So Beautiful yet So Unaware of It” is the type of album that is so underrated, and should not be overlooked.

This is an album and band not known by many, but it is a work of art I’d recommended to almost anyone. It has a unique way of delivering the lyrics and the sound in harmony. Just so both fit together perfectly.

The artwork of the album has the classic lighten up sign from their first album that reads “The 1975” placed in front of a plain background. Though the art resembles the first album, instead of a black and white image, it appears as an iridescent, light pink and pure white sign. The album starts out with a track that identifies with the name of the band and is titled “The 1975.”

The short minute and 23 seconds of the song is the perfect way to start out the album. Its background sound and voice have a quiet and soft sound that prepares your ears for the upcoming alternative. After the intro song, the album crescendos into an 80s esque, pop vibe.

One of my personal favorite songs off of the album, “She’s American”, starts out with an almost eerie sound and then escalates to the kind of music that would strike you as being straight out of a John Hughes’ movie. This song’s lyrics describe the stereotypical, American, California girl who seems to care only about image.

The closing track to the album is an acoustic ballad called “She Lays Down.” The acoustics of the song are so amazing that if you close your eyes you can almost imagine being right there in the studio while it is being recorded. The lyrics explain a vulnerable mother suffering from addiction. This song, obviously, is very emotional and ends the album on a personal note, which adds to the complexity of it.

Another thing that makes this album a work of art is that it has the perfect balance of interlude to lyrical. If you were to read aloud the lyrics to any one of the songs off of “I Like It When You Sleep”, the deliverance of the words and the intricacy of the language would sound like poetry.

The melodies of each song vary in a different way but also have a similar sound. If you’re looking to take a break from the routine music you always listen to and searching for a new sound. I recommend listening to “I Like It When You Sleep, for You Are So Beautiful Yet So Unaware of It” because each song truly could relate to a different person. Give it some love. You won’t regret it.

Maria Miller - Flightline Editor-in-Chief

Maria became a member of The Flightline in January of 2016. She is a senior this year involved in slam poetry at Skutt Catholic and spends time with her beloved mule, Shoelace, outside of school. You can email her at [email protected]

1 Comment

One Response to “Do Not Be Unaware of This Album”

1. Kleem on October 3rd, 2016 12:05 pm
    Kleem

AMEN

• Do Not Be Unaware of This Album

Dr. Seuss’ “The Grinch” Receives an Upgrade

• Do Not Be Unaware of This Album

Suncity is a Billet Doux to El Paso

• Do Not Be Unaware of This Album

Mini Mansions Releases Diverse EP That Works Every Time

• Do Not Be Unaware of This Album

“Twenty One Pilots” are Back With Refreshing New Album “Trench”

• Do Not Be Unaware of This Album

Railcar Modern American Kitchen: A Picturesque Eatery Serving High Quality Food

• Do Not Be Unaware of This Album

Troye Sivan’s “Bloom” Preaches Rebirth

• Do Not Be Unaware of This Album

Tangerine Reef: 1% Music, 99% Nonsense

• Do Not Be Unaware of This Album

Family Film “A-X-L” Flops

• Do Not Be Unaware of This Album

“Christopher Robin” is a Tear Jerking and Heartwarming Fantasy

• Do Not Be Unaware of This Album

Fusion Taste: An Excellent Eatery for Trying Something New

Do Not Be Unaware of This Album