The Never-Ending Cycle of Golf

How the girl's golf team adjusts to this cycle

Photo by http://www.girlsgolfcollegescholarships.com/2012_02_01_archive.html

Katie Augustine, Guest Writer

One stroke. That’s all it takes to lose the most important tournament of your high school career. As practice continues at Tiburon Golf Course, the Skutt Catholic golf girls are determined to have a winning season.

Every sport goes through a constant cycle. One year a team is full of experienced seniors, and the next is exploding with naïve freshmen. As the seniors go off to college, a new season begins. “My coaching style changes every year to suit what the team needs,” Coach Mike Stolarskyj said. “Every season comes with new challenges, but I know the girls will succeed,” Stolarskyj continued.

Last season, the golf team started off slow. The varsity team included two juniors and three freshmen. They worked their way up, all the way to state. That was the start of the cycle. This year, the wheels have rotated.

Golf is portrayed as a calming, relaxing sport. After waking up before sunrise, the team set off to their first tournament of the season. High school golf is everything but calming. The team sat quietly in a van for 45 minutes to Holmes Golf Course in Lincoln, Ne. The first tee box basically has ‘nerves’ written all over it. Each golfer plays with two other girls from different schools. After hitting off of 18 tee boxes for four straight hours, the team gathered to compare scores.

Skutt Catholic was pleasantly surprised with a final score of 374. Overall, SC placed third out of 14 teams. This was a feat for a Class A tournament.

At this point, the team knew they were at the climax of the cycle. With just a bit more practice, the golf team could make it to state again.

Not many people around SC know much about golf, but many are involved in team sports. Junior Ben Sievers, a football player at SC, was honest and implied that he doesn’t know much about the golf team this year. But being a team player, Sievers added, “It’s important to be a part of a team because it’s a good way to make friends, and you learn how to work with others.”

The entire element of golf is to stay focused and to keep a positive mind set. If a player starts their first hole with “the worst score ever shot”, golf offers a second chance. Fix what was wrong on the next hole. Golf is simple, but difficult. It is crucial to think of your team even as you are playing by yourself. “To be a part of a team means never settling on anything but your best because your teammates depend on you” Senior Varsity player, Elia Healy said. Golf is one of the most time consuming sports. It involves girls from around Nebraska that are dedicated not only to personal scores, but to the team.

As the cycle continues, and as seniors come and go, the golf team will keep on improving. The state title might come some day, whether it be this season or in years to come. As the golf season builds more pressure, the key is to stick with each other, to encourage others, and to always keep your teammates in mind.

Bob Killgore - Sports Editor

Bob joined The Flightline in January of 2016. His interests include cross country and track. He enjoys watching MLB baseball and his favorite baseball team is the Arizona Diamondbacks. You can email him at [email protected]