This One’s For Mr. McMahon

This One’s For Mr. McMahon

Gabby Giesler, Features Editor

“Mr. McMahon! Mr. McMahon!” Students and parents cheered at the football game versus Elkhorn South just a few weeks ago. Mr. McMahon looked on from the side of the track with a smile on his face. Dressed in hues of silver and white to honor those fighting against lung cancer, Skutt Catholic’s student section dedicated that night to their retired athletic director and his battle with the disease. The theme for the game came at the right moment; it would be the last football game our beloved Mr. McMahon would attend. The SkyHawk football team, part of the athletic program he helped assemble, rolled the Storm 37-20. The next week, less than 24 hours after his passing, the football team went out and beat #1 Elkhorn by a stunning score of 24-21.   “It was a great feeling to go out there and get the win for him. He was really looking down on all of us,” says senior quarterback Isaiah Ramsey.

Beginning as the girl’s basketball coach in 1998, McMahon brought plenty to the table. As head of the activities department, he was able to lead our school to countless victories including basketball, softball, football, and dance. During his time as our AD, Skutt Catholic acquired 36 state championship titles and 18 runner-ups; no other school in the state collected as many state titles as Skutt over that period. The support he gave for every sport was unwavering, and the dedication and work he attributed to our athletics and school will always be cherished.

Sports aside, Mr. McMahon was a true role model. Senior Isaiah Ramsey says, “He was a great influence not only on the kids that played sports, but everyone at the school. There was something about him that not only made you feel comfortable, but made you feel confident about yourself. He would always talk to me and encourage me, and was a great influence on the Skutt community.” There aren’t enough words to describe the greatness that was Mr. McMahon and his legacy as a Skyhawk will live on in all of us.