• Big Hawks! Tomorrow we will being meeting up with your Little Hawks at 9:15 for a QR activity. Please bring your iPads to the gym.

• SkyHawks in the City registration is now open!

• Sign ups for stage crew and other jobs will be at the ITS meeting after school on Monday in Mr. Wright's room, A155.

• Get your free 25th Anniversary T-Shirts During Lunch!

• Angels prayer groups meet again on Thursday morning at 6:45 am in the Campus Ministry office for prayer, friendship, and doughnuts.

• All students interested in Vivace Band or Crew, please stop and see Mr. Storm in the music room by Tuesday, August 22nd.

• Set construction has begun for the fall play! Come to the stage after school at 3:30 and get involved.

• Any young man interested in joining the Guardians is invited to attend an information meeting on Thursday Aug. 17 @ 7am in Mr. Zavaletta's room.

• SkyHawks for Life will be hosting their first Life Nite on Tuesday Aug. 22 @ 7pm in the Student Center.

• Anyone interested in playing some chess, come to D104 Thursday, August 17th

Raising a Cane’s

Fried chicken chain plans new location, students rejoice

Things begin to come together at the new location, near 144th & Center

Photo by Tom Hermanek

Photo by Tom Hermanek

Tom Hermanek, Features Editor

A new cuisine option is about to join the likes of Piezon’s Pizza and Chick-fil-A as one of the most popular and convenient restaurants for Skutt Catholic students.

Raising Cane’s Chicken Fingers, the fried chicken chain that gained instant popularity in the Omaha area last year, is planning a new restaurant near 144th & Center, in front of the Family Fare (formerly Bag ‘N Save) Supermarket.

This location is one of several that the chain hopes to open in the Omaha area by the end of this year.

Along with fried chicken, fries, and Texas toast, this location will bring a lot of convenience to Skutt Catholic students.

Senior Marcus Judah poses outside the location in progress

Tom Hermanek

“I go to Cane’s pretty often,” said senior Marcus Judah. He says that it currently takes him as much as 15 or 20 minutes to drive to Raising Cane’s. “It’s going to be a lot more convenient now that it is closer to Skutt,” Judah says.

Its convenience, combined with Cane’s existing popularity among students, will likely allow it to take the place of Piezon’s Pizzeria and other establishments in students’ lunchtime routine.

However, students like Judah are concerned with how the location might affect their health. “Cane’s has a lot of nutrients, so I think it’s going to keep me fit and healthy,” he said sarcastically.

John Glover, Raising Canes’ Marketing Advisor for the Omaha area, says that the proximity to Skutt Catholic was a factor that was considered when the 144th & Center site was selected.

Glover also commented that the company, “love[s] working with local high schools by sponsoring their teams and holding fundraisers.”

Unfortunately, the location will not be opening as soon as some students might prefer. Glover said that, although he is hesitant to give an exact date, the company, “is targeting a late fall opening.”

As the anticipation builds for Skutt Catholic students, construction crews are working to complete the location as soon as possible.

Tom Hermanek - Managing Editor

Tom became a member of The Flightline in January of 2015. He is a senior who is involved in mock trial and swimming. Off campus, Tom spends his time with friends or working at Starbucks. If you're so inclined, send him an email at [email protected]