Midtown Bakery Feels Like Home

Sweet Magnolia's Bake Shop is perfect for any sweet tooth

Maria Koliopoulos, Graphics Editor

Sweet Magnolia’s is a home-style bake shop located in Midtown.

The name brings to mind beautiful pink flowers floating upon a soft breeze, but the aroma wafting from the door put an even more vivid imagine in the mind’s eye.

The tiny shop is well put together, with a clean-cut black, white, and pinkish-purple color scheme.

A large array of baked goods lay before us in a display case.
Not knowing where to start, we take a staff poll. The pleasant group of employees and owners was quick to give us some helpful ideas. We end up with a few favorites, and head out on our merry way.

Quantity is nothing without quality, but the blueberry scone carried through on both.The sweet and slightly salty dough highlights the slight bitterness of the plentiful blueberries. The large scone had great consistency, too, with a slightly crisp outside and a really soft inside.

The next thing we tried was the lemon bar. Although it was a little bit crumbly, the flavor was right on. The essence of lemon was strong, but not overwhelming, and the powdered sugar kept it pleasantly sweet while still exhibiting the sourness of the lemon.

The oatmeal cream pie had a pleasant cinnamon undertone, and was really easy to consume. The two soft yet stable oatmeal cookies were sandwiched together by some surprisingly good vanilla icing that tasted faintly of carrot cake, somehow.

Last and definitely not least, the unicorn bar. Just as whimsical as it sounds, this colorful bar is as lovely to look at as it is to eat. The multi-colored sprinkles and the sugary flavor bring ‘round memories of birthdays old and new. The lavender swirl of frosting on top successfully makes the bar actually look like a unicorn, whilst tasting, shall I say, magical.

The pleasant little bake shop is a perfect way to start a Saturday in Omaha’s downtown or wind down from a week of high school stress. Sweet Magnolia’s will fulfill anyone’s sudden craving for a baked treat. 

Maria Koliopoulos

Maria became a member of The Flightline in January of 2016. She is a senior this year involved in show choir at Skutt Catholic and is probably climbing a tree or drawing outside of school. You can email her at [email protected]