An Approach to Change

My thoughts on making the most of your time at Skutt Catholic

An Approach to Change

Allison Heithoff, Editor-in-Chief of Quintessence

Change causes all of us to experience a similar feeling: some call it jitters, butterflies in our stomach, or just plain nerves. This feeling has accompanied many people first entering the doors of Skutt Catholic.

There is a piece of all of us, some bigger than others, that freezes at the thought of change. As a senior now, I remember walking into the doors the first day of freshman year completely terrified, bereft of my middle school friends who had chosen different schools. I wasn’t too fond of the idea of change at first; I had fallen into the lapse of comfort and placidity.

One thing I’ve learned since being a freshman is that high school is an open door for change. Looking back at the yearbook from freshman year, not only do people change in appearance, but they grow and develop as individuals. You could find yourself playing sports your first couple years but then transition into theater or chess club or even journalism like I did. I never saw being on newspaper in the cards as a freshman, but it has shaped my high school experience into something I never fathomed.

So in whatever way you may be new to Skutt Catholic, know that newness will fade to everydayness; unfamiliarity changes to familiarity. When you turn 16 and get your license, you will soon discover you have memorized every street and store and billboard as you drive to school. Halls that are now new and foreign will become all too familiar. Appreciate the activities and things you enjoy now because they could be entirely different a year from now.

Try every club that piques your interest, even slightly, because you never know where it might take you. Newspaper took me to Los Angeles, but Cheer could take you to Florida. Don’t be afraid of being too busy; I’ve figured out you will regret not being busy way more than being too busy. Understand where your true passions lie and follow them, don’t hold yourself back even if you don’t know anybody going into it. It is surprising how welcoming people are when you consent to put yourself out there.

If there’s one thing I know about change it is that there is no way to master it. It can only be embraced one day at a time. Skutt Catholic has changed in so many ways since I’ve gotten here: the transition to iPads, changes in uniform, the turf on the football field, and digital scoreboards; teachers I’ve learned from have gone away, and classmates in my grade have transferred out, their places filled by others who have transfered in. But in essence, it is the same building I walked into freshman year. Don’t let the small changes deter you from seeing through the same eyes with which you first looked at Skutt Catholic.

Just know that these nerves will settle down, this unfamiliar void will become a second home, and all the new faces in your grade will become more than just recognizable. I admit to avoiding change as much as the next person, but while high school is indeed a change, it is more accurately an opportunity.

Put yourself out there, don’t be afraid to branch out and talk to new people. Who knows, you might find yourself in a completely different place senior year, maybe even writing an article very similar to this one for this very same newspaper.