Cooperative Motive

Two local culinary partners open shop in Benson together

Maria Koliopoulos, Staff Reporter

Ted & Wally’s is a classic Omaha ice cream parlor. Locomotive is an Omaha established food truck that works out of their parking lot.

Their partnership has been so successful that they’ve opened up a ground-bound space in Benson together.

Both companies’ logos jut proudly from the side of a re-purposed gas station’s white outer wall.

The inside is bright; large windows let lots of light glint off of the white subway tile walls and the red and green paint of the furnishings.

The layout is similar to that of the original Ted & Wally’s, with a walk up counter, lots of tall booths, and two old-fashion ice cream machines on display.

Localmotive is known for its rounders. These small, flavor-filled spheres of breaded food have earned themselves quite a name in Omaha’s culinary industry.

Each order of rounders is a serving of three decently sized orbs of food with a specialized sauce, all in charming street-food style paper boats.

We order a few varieties of these and some fries at the counter and make our way to one of the large wooden booths.

As the food approaches, cartoon animation wafts of enticing smells pull at our noses.

We ordered both the winter and summer fries. The winter fries have a warmer, heavier feeling, bits of bacon and cheddar cheese lacing the fresh cut fries with flavor. The summer fries, on the other hand, have a lively vibe. Chopped parsley and powdered apple cider vinegar give the fries a fresh, slightly sweet and bitter tinge.

As for the rounders, we ordered the herb egg, the gyro, and the samosa. The herb egg rounders are first on the chopping block. Served with a fine red-pepper salsa, the well seasoned scrambled egg within the breeding of the rounder pulls a perfect contrast. The spicy coolness of the salsa plays very well with the filling warmth of the almost sweet breading, the garden herbs, and incredibly soft scrambled eggs within. Even the color of the eggs is appetizing, a beautiful pastel yellow signifying the mastery of the hands who cooked them.

The gyro rounders, on the other hand, were slightly salty. Made with both beef and lamb meat, it holds on to the old traditional gyro style while upscaling it with a touch of modern conformity. The feta cheese, sautéed onions, and tomatoes really give it a pretty accurate flavor, but as a Greek, I’m not fully convinced. The cooling tzatziki it is served with does the whole dish lemony justice, and although the overall taste is not as good as that of the herb egg rounders, it is still a pleasant experience.

Finally, the vegetarian-friendly samosa rounders. The green of the mint pesto they are served with is incredibly striking. The samosa rounders are made with carrots, potatoes, peas, onions,  chiles, current, and cashews. All of the vegetables are diced to the size of the peas, making the rounder very easy to bite into without making a huge disaster. The colors of all of the vegetables within the rounders are just as vivid as the green of the pesto, which ultimately makes this as pleasing for the eyes as it is on the tongue. The fresh, curry vibe of the samosa rounders stands out against the sharp mint of the pesto and is ultimately a stunning combination.

Localmotive’s partnership with Ted & Wally’s means you can not only get good savory food but some incredible ice cream too.
.
Flavors range from Dutch chocolate and raspberry to honey lavender and even vegan thai tea.

We ordered a scoop of limencello to share. The thick, bright yellow ice cream was sweet and tasted subtly of lemons, a refreshingly creamy end to the meal.

Localmotive and Ted & Wally’s have only grown greater since they’ve grown together. These two major local culinary forces have melded two wonderful things into one, and the results are well worth your time.

Maria Koliopoulos

Maria became a member of The Flightline in January of 2016. She is a senior this year involved in show choir at Skutt Catholic and is probably climbing a tree or drawing outside of school. You can email her at [email protected]