Splash Brothers Vs. Air Jordan

The 95-96 Bulls vs. the 15-16 Warriors

Michael Jordan (left) backs up to Steph Curry (right).

Photo by CBS Sports

Photo by CBS Sports

Sam Wiegand, Staff Reporter

In the NBA, and virtually every other sport, it’s always about winning. Winning always proves who is better. In the regular season, the mark of 70 wins has only been met by two all time great regular season teams: the 2015-2016 Golden State Warriors and the 1995-1996 Chicago Bulls.

Like any good sports debate, it can’t end with a tie. There has to be a winner here.

So here’s the scenario: a 7 game series, with a potential game 7 on a neutral court. Each of the 7 categories will represent a theoretical game won.

Now first off, you can’t look at this while thinking about each individual player’s entire career. This entire debate is about the 1995 team and this year’s Warriors. This means Michael Jordan can not be simply the greatest player of all time, he will be viewed purely as how good he was in 1995.

Now that we have the guidelines, let’s start with the starting point guard position. Stephen Curry against Ron Harper. In terms of pure stats this one is fairly obvious. Stephen Curry would give a giant advantage to his team. Although Ron Harper had the gift of size, being a 6”6’ point guard would cause even Steph Curry to possibly change a few of his shots. The deciding factor came down to Steph’s pure ability to shoot. He broke his own NBA single season record on 3-pointers made by over 100. Advantage Warriors.

As for shooting guard, it comes to Klay Thompson against Michael Jordan. Michael Jordan obviously has the defensive advantage here by averaging over 2 blocks a game. Offensively Michael Jordan also takes the cake here, by averaging 30 points per game compared to Klay’s 22. Granted Klay hit over 100 more threes throughout the course of the year than MJ, but Jordan was still the league’s MVP. Advantage Bulls.

Klay Thompson celebrates making a 3-pointer.

Sporting News

As for small forward, this might be the most even in terms of size and potential ability, but not in terms of actual production. Harrison Barnes against Scottie Pippen, a young up and coming player against the robin to Michael Jordan’s batman. Scottie Pippen was known as an absolute lockdown defender; the stats don’t lie with a block and 2 steals a game. He averaged 20 points a game while Barnes only averaged 12. Bulls up 2-1.

Power Forward truthfully might the toughest matchup. Dennis Rodman is known as one of the greatest rebounders and defenders basketball has ever seen. Draymond Green is like a Swiss Army knife whose defense and triple-doubles make him great. Offensively it’s no question Green is the far superior player, but Rodman grabbed 14 boards a game in 1995. Due to his better overall game, I’m choosing Green. Advantage Warriors.

Scottie Pippen is mid pass.

ESPN
Scottie Pippen mid pass.

Center is in both cases the lesser known players. Andrew Bogut for the Warriors against Luc Longley. Longley stands out as an incredible paint protector, as he averaged nearly 2 blocks a game. As for Bogut, he had fewer blocks but more rebounds a game. Both didn’t add a giant impact on the offensive end. Warriors up 3-2.

Both teams have incredible benches, each led by their own sixth man. The Bulls had Steve Kerr while the Warriors had Andre Iguodala. Kerr adds incredible shooting, on the same level as Thompson and even Curry. Iguodala might be one of the best defensive players in this entire match up. But the fact that Kerr is now the Warriors coach, the Bulls win this round. The series is tied up 3-3.

Think about this: game 7 in a theoretical series between two of the greatest teams of all time; a perfect scenario. It has to come down to star against star. Curry or Jordan taking the last shot. Curry can hit ridiculous shots but Jordan is too clutch. Bulls win by 1 point in game 7, hypothetically.

Sadly we will never know, but both of these teams are incredible.