My Very Own S’more War

The ice cream dilemma that was under wraps until now

My Very Own S’more War

Processed with VSCOcam with f2 preset

Processed with VSCOcam with f2 preset

Processed with VSCOcam with f2 preset

Processed with VSCOcam with f2 preset

Gabby Giesler, Editor-in-Chief

Ah, summertime. Late night bonfires companioned with crispy, melting marshmallows smashed between two honey graham crackers and Hershey’s chocolate. The only thing just as delicious as this, if not better, is the S’mores Blizzard from Dairy Queen.

I still recall the moment I drove through the drive-thru and saw its absence from the fluorescent screen. Taken aback, I knew I had to do something.

It all began in the summer of 2014. The S’mores Blizzard was released, and I truthfully have never enjoyed an order of ice cream as much as I did then. All my ice cream choices from then on were compared to the S’mores Blizzard to no avail. It was my number one.

Suddenly, fleetingly, just as summer comes and goes, my beloved S’mores Blizzard left too.

I waited. I waited for months. One long, enduring school year passed as my hopes were high for its return. Boy, was I disappointed. Even worse, Dairy Queen released what they titled the “Best Blizzard Menu Ever.” This threw me over the edge. They needed to reevaluate.

Now, I’m not a confrontational person. Conflict stresses me out. But when I find something worth fighting for, like this case, I invest myself fully.

Luckily, one of my very good friends was just as fired up as I was. Together, we didn’t keep quiet. We sent about 15 emails and tweets to Dairy Queen regarding our distaste about the matter.

The emails were not sent in an immature manner. We actually praised Dairy Queen for inventing such a delicious dessert. We questioned why it was removed from the menu after such a successful season. Our dedication to bringing back the S’mores Blizzard was abundant.

Sadly, we received no email response that I can recall. However, the Dairy Queen Twitter handle did reply to various tweets from more than a handful of angry Blizzard lovers like myself. Apologies were distributed, but most often concluded with a “We have other ones for you to try!” No, Dairy Queen, no. My heart belongs to one and one only.

Fast forward to Spring 2016, the S’mores Blizzard returned to open arms. Even better, an Oreo S’mores Blizzard was released. Though I have never thought to put an Oreo on a s’more, the Blizzard kicks major marshmallows.

Returning with not just one but two editions of my most favorite treat just can’t be a coincidence. I am a firm believer that my emails made a difference. Why else would DQ put so much thought into a product if they haven’t received such passionate feedback from its customers?

This just proves that anything worth fighting for is worth fighting for whole-heartedly. To you it may only be an ice cream treat, but to me it is THE ice cream treat. If they try to pull a fast one again and axe this Blizzard, I may just take a nice road trip up to corporate for a talk.

To be continued…