• Big Hawks! Tomorrow we will being meeting up with your Little Hawks at 9:15 for a QR activity. Please bring your iPads to the gym.

• SkyHawks in the City registration is now open!

• Sign ups for stage crew and other jobs will be at the ITS meeting after school on Monday in Mr. Wright's room, A155.

• Get your free 25th Anniversary T-Shirts During Lunch!

• Angels prayer groups meet again on Thursday morning at 6:45 am in the Campus Ministry office for prayer, friendship, and doughnuts.

• All students interested in Vivace Band or Crew, please stop and see Mr. Storm in the music room by Tuesday, August 22nd.

• Set construction has begun for the fall play! Come to the stage after school at 3:30 and get involved.

• Any young man interested in joining the Guardians is invited to attend an information meeting on Thursday Aug. 17 @ 7am in Mr. Zavaletta's room.

• SkyHawks for Life will be hosting their first Life Nite on Tuesday Aug. 22 @ 7pm in the Student Center.

• Anyone interested in playing some chess, come to D104 Thursday, August 17th

Buckle Up Baseball Fans: Opening Day is Finally Here

The top 4 storylines to watch this 2016 season

Photo by Mark rebillas
Diamondbacks kick off the season with flyover

Bob Killgore, Staff Reporter

As Opening Day for baseball comes ever so close, players and coaches gear up for the 2016 season. For many teams, this year could bring depression while others will bask in postseason joy. But before this 2016 season begins, here are the top 4 storylines to watch heading into the season.

Is this the year the Cub’s break their World Series drought?
Unless you been hiding under a rock for the last 108 years, you know the Cubs haven’t won the World Series in over a century. The last time the hardware was brought to the North Side of Chicago was 1908. Last year, however, the young players for the Cubs excelled and made it to the National League Championship Series (round before World Series). They lost to the New York Mets, but the experience benefited the youngsters.

This year Cubs have everything needed to win the World Series. They have the 2015 Cy Young winner in Jake Arrieta, powerful hitters in Kris Bryant and Dexter Fowler, and a good bullpen to close out the games. Many players from last year’s team returned giving them a great chance to break one of the most infamous droughts in all of sports history.

Will the Diamondbacks big moves pay off?
The Arizona Diamondbacks made their names known in free agency when they signed ace Zack Greinke to a six year 206 million dollar deal. They desperately needed an ace to man the rotation and Greinke will definitely qualify. Arizona then made the deal of the offseason by receiving Shelby Miller for outfielder, Ender Inciarte, #1 draft pick Dansby Swanson, and reliever Aaron Blair.

The D-Backs needed a #2 starter to backup Greinke, but they paid a king’s ransom for Miller. Inciarte was a rising star for Arizona last year, hitting just under 300. Trading your 1st round pick is risky and the D-backs need all the relievers they can get. Regardless, Arizona now has a pretty solid #2 starter behind Zack Greinke and a very good rotation. With a great offense and two all stars in Paul Goldschmidt and AJ Pollock, the D-Backs are in position to win the NL West.

Can David Price pitch the Red Sox to the playoffs?
Much like the D-Backs, the rotation for the Boston Red Sox was a crapshoot. The pitcher that had the best ERA(earned run average) was Wade Miley, with a 4.46 ERA. Miley’s 11 wins led the team, which is putrid. General manager Dave Dombrowski saw the desperate need for an ace and signed lefty David Price. Price’s 7 year, 217 million contract is the most expensive deal ever made for a pitcher. He will be a mentor to the other pitchers in the rotation and Boston’s offense should win Price a lot of games. The AL East is up for grabs so David Price could just be the one to lead the Red Sox to the division title.

Should the Cardinals be worried?
Sure, the Cubs may have more talent than the Red Birds, but the NL Central still goes through Busch Stadium and Yadier Molina. With winning 7 of the last 12 division titles, the St. Louis Cardinals are still the class of the division. Rookie Stephen Piscotty shined as he hit 305 in 63 games and homered three times against the Cubs in the NLDS(National League Division Series). They have a great rotation including Carlos Martinez, Adam Wainwright, and Michael Wacha. The Cards also have a near perfect closer in Trevor Rosenthal. All in all, the Red Birds shouldn’t be worried about their chances this year.

Baseball fans have been counting down to Opening Day ever since the Royals won the World Series. They desperately want to have their teams perform well and make the postseason. So now, sit back and watch the craziness ensue.

Bob Killgore

Robert Killgore joined The Flightline in January of 2016. His interests include cross country and track. He enjoys watching MLB baseball and his favorite baseball team is the Arizona Diamondbacks