• Big Hawks! Tomorrow we will being meeting up with your Little Hawks at 9:15 for a QR activity. Please bring your iPads to the gym.

• SkyHawks in the City registration is now open!

• Sign ups for stage crew and other jobs will be at the ITS meeting after school on Monday in Mr. Wright's room, A155.

• Get your free 25th Anniversary T-Shirts During Lunch!

• Angels prayer groups meet again on Thursday morning at 6:45 am in the Campus Ministry office for prayer, friendship, and doughnuts.

• All students interested in Vivace Band or Crew, please stop and see Mr. Storm in the music room by Tuesday, August 22nd.

• Set construction has begun for the fall play! Come to the stage after school at 3:30 and get involved.

• Any young man interested in joining the Guardians is invited to attend an information meeting on Thursday Aug. 17 @ 7am in Mr. Zavaletta's room.

• SkyHawks for Life will be hosting their first Life Nite on Tuesday Aug. 22 @ 7pm in the Student Center.

• Anyone interested in playing some chess, come to D104 Thursday, August 17th

The ‘Wait’ is Over

Skate Catholic senior to release his second album

James Keeley, Op/Ed Editor

For senior Luke Heffron, his second album is still only the beginning of his entrancing music career. He is following up his 2014 LP Melancholy Milkshake with his next project The Waiting EP, releasing on April 2nd.  

Luke first took an interest in music after hearing one of his older sisters play the theme to ‘Harry Potter’ on the piano. He described how he his interest in music grew: “I wrote my first song on the piano when I was five, started taking classical lessons at seven, and I began singing and writing music with lyrics when I was fourteen.” Nowadays Luke is involved in Honors Choir and plays piano for the Show Choir at Skutt Catholic.

Luke began work on The Waiting EP in June of 2015 and continued to tinker with it up until March of 2016. The project was recorded all over Omaha; the title track “Waiting” was partially recorded at the Digital Arts Center at the University of Nebraska—Lincoln. Another track, “Forget Myself”, was recorded with Mike Mogis of the Omaha band Bright Eyes. Senior Neil Osborn also helped record the track “Elders”. Luke explained: “I am super grateful for the help I had in the creation of this project, and I know that the people I worked with and met in the process have helped me become a better artist overall.” The rest of the songs on the EP were produced in Luke’s bedroom. 

you don’t have to prove who you are to anyone. You don’t have to show your worth in order to be who you are, you just have to be who you are, and that is all”

— Luke Heffron

Each song in The Waiting EP contains a different message and story, but they all center around the idea of ‘waiting’ in contrasting ways. Luke illustrated what he was trying to say with his work: “The overall message that formed with this body of work is that people are always hurrying to prove themselves worthy, or prove themselves able, but you don’t have to prove who you are to anyone. You don’t have to show your worth in order to be who you are, you just have to be who you are, and that is all. So waiting to show who you are in your entirety is good, and sometimes necessary.”

The Waiting EP will be available on iTunes, Spotify, and Google play starting April 2nd; physical copies will also be available. Luke is planning to continue making music throughout college and beyond; he already has a plan laid out for his next album.

In closing, Luke said: “I feel really honored and lucky that there are people that are actually interested in what I do. It’s a really gratifying thing.” If anything, Skutt Catholic is lucky to have a student as talented as Luke Heffron.

You can purchase The Waiting EP here: http://itunes.apple.com/album/id1092909809?ls=1&app=itunes