Winter Activities for the Win

Skutt Catholic's activity squads bring home multiple titles

Maria Koliopoulos, Staff Reporter

Photo by Anna Korensky
Skutt Catholic's Winter Guard, stunning in deep purple.

Skutt Catholic’s winter activities have been yielding sky-high rates of success as of late. Days on end of practice and rehearsal combined with all the determination they can muster, help the SkyHawks continue to raise the bar in their artistic activities.

This year at nationals, our very own girls dance team came home with a national ranking of fifth in jazz.

“We set reasonable goals, and worked hard to obtain them, but far exceeded our expectations,” says Skutt Catholic junior and returning member of the dance team, Amanda Pohlman. “We placed fifth out of about 60 dances in the jazz division, and it feels amazing to be on top.”

In future years, the team intends to bring home a national title, but as of now, they are focusing on state dance team. Skutt Catholic’s dance team has the second longest streak of state titles behind wrestling, so hopes are high for the girls this season.   

As long as the leaders of these programs keep pushing their students, challenging them to break the mold and go outside their comfort zone, we will continue to develop outstanding activity programs.”

— Mr. Jeremy Moore, Director of Activities

Meanwhile, cheer came home with national rankings of seventh and eleventh in the nation. “We met our goal for nationals this year, but we always strive to do better,” contributes sophomore Claire Kolkman, a member of the cheer team. “This year, though, we still have state, and wish to take home a state championship.”

Next, Winter Guard took second place in the  Scholastic Regional A competition on the 6th of this month. 

“We aren’t finished yet, but each week we will make small changes and add to our routine in order to make it more interesting and exciting for the audience,” says Skutt Catholic junior and member of Winter Guard, Samantha Lierz. “We have three more competitions including championships this season and we plan on working our hardest to bring home the first place trophy again.”

Last, but not least, Skutt Catholic’s show choir, Vivace, won their first grand champion title on February 6th. “We didn’t have much success last year, but we learned a lot about the real work we needed to do,” says Skutt Catholic senior and member of Vivace Trevor Kathol. “This year we are better than we have ever been, and as long as we have a great director like Mr. Storm, the SkyHawks will always be flying high onstage.”

The SkyHawk thirst for success only continues to grow; exponentially so. Every activity strives for victory, and it becomes increasingly more attainable.

“Skutt Catholic has always had a strong activities department, but what makes it stand out more now is the number of students involved in those activities, and the leadership of those programs,” says Skutt Catholic Activity Director Mr. Jeremy Moore. “I believe now those leaders have built sustainable programs that people want to be a part of, because they are fun, challenging, and successful in the long run,” concluded Moore.

Maria Koliopoulos

Maria became a member of The Flightline in January of 2016. She is a senior this year involved in show choir at Skutt Catholic and is probably climbing a tree or drawing outside of school. You can email her at [email protected]