The High School Label Maker

The labels given to us in high school affect us in a much deeper way than we may realize.

The High School Label Maker

Photo by Graphic by Hannah Klemme

Photo by Graphic by Hannah Klemme

Photo by Graphic by Hannah Klemme

Sara Zaleski, Staff Reporter

Dear Mr. Vernon:
We accept the fact that we had to sacrifice a whole Saturday in detention for whatever it was that we did wrong. What we did was wrong. But we think you’re crazy to make us write this essay telling you who we think we are. What do you care? You see us as you want to see us, in the simplest terms and the most convenient definitions…

Most teenagers have, at some point in their lives, seen the 1984 movie “The Breakfast Club.” For those that have not, in short, it is a film showcasing the experience of five “typical” high school students spending a Saturday together in detention.

Although its basic plot is nothing more than a look into the extreme depths of thought that exist in the average teenage mind (insert sarcastic laugh), it plays off of generalizations about high schoolers.

For some people, when they get to high school, they transform themselves, into people they never were in middle school, and the way that we interact with our classmates plays an important role in this transition.

Sadly, though, the way that we interact with our classmates is often decided by the labels we give to one another.

As people who are currently attempting to cut through this tangled mess of gossip, we know how difficult it can be to see the other side of every story. Honestly, even our middle school rumors find their place in this jungle of lies.

Confining our peers to the boundaries of labels and stereotypes is not only an injustice to them, but to ourselves. We miss out on opportunities to expose ourselves to ideas and interests that differ from our own. This is due to both our lack of communication with new people and our fear of stepping beyond the borders that others have set up for us: our labels.

But if we no longer fit inside of a label, where do we belong?

This is the struggle that is all too often overlooked. It is especially unfair to us because most of this fire is fueled by society; it creates the labels, and it defines the borders.

This battle is timeless, but in a new age of technology and media, it is only getting worse. As these walls get higher, it’s becomes our job to knock them down.

We each owe it to ourselves to become more than a word. But, whatever it takes, it’s going to be a group effort in the end. What we need now is for one person to rally the troops; be that person.

You see us as a brain, an athlete, a basket case, a princess, and a criminal. Correct? That’s how we saw each other at seven o’clock this morning. We were brainwashed. Sincerely yours, the Breakfast Club.