Catholic School Catwalk

Students flaunt some awesome looks for CSW.

Catholic School Catwalk

Whether fans of Huskers or Bulls, these girls strike a pose in their jerseys

Photo by McKenna Kirkpatrick

Photo by McKenna Kirkpatrick

Photo by McKenna Kirkpatrick

Allison Young, Staff Reporter

Gone are the plaid skirts, khakis, and polos of the typical school week, as Catholic schools all around the country have recently celebrated Catholic Schools Week, which took place February 1-5. Each year, Skutt Catholic students and faculty dress up according to a certain theme chosen for each day, and here are some highlights from this week.

Monday, February 1 Catholic Schools Week began with “Jersey Day,” which resulted in hallways full of bright colors in support of students’ favorite sports teams. “I wore a St. Louis Cardinals jersey that I’ve had for years,” said sophomore Jimmy Boler. “I’m honestly surprised it still fits,” Boler continued.

McKenna Kirkpatrick

Jerseys both old and new decorated the halls of Skutt Catholic on February 1

McKenna Kirkpatrick

Tuesday, February 2 was scheduled to be “Twin Day.” The students would each pick a student to ‘twin’ with and they would wear the same outfit. Some pairings in the past have been as good as to make you question which was which. However, the city of Omaha was blessed with a snow day, so no one was seeing double.

“Twin Day is probably my favorite day of Catholic Schools Week,” said sophomore Katrina Roth. “I love seeing how similar some people actually look, and the dedication some people commit to it. I was going to twin with Ashleigh Ulfers and we had our whole outfits planned out exactly,” Roth continued.

However, some weren’t looking forward to Twin Day as much as others. “I wasn’t looking excited for Twin Day because I didn’t get someone to twin with in advance,” said junior Sarah Schrader. “I pretty much planned a snow day into my schedule so I didn’t bother putting in any effort.”

Wednesday, February 3, however did not have a special theme planned. The Catholic Schools Week mass was planned for that day, but yet another snow day interrupted the festivities and school was cancelled.

“My favorite thing about Catholic Schools Week is mass,” said senior Ryan Wallace. “The band that plays is really good and makes mass so fun,” Wallace continued. Much to his pleasure, mass was rescheduled and the school celebrated together on Thursday.

Back from the short snow day break, Thursday, February 4 came with “Throwback Day,” when students wear gear from their past elementary and middle schools. Some decided to break out their old sweatshirts and t-shirts from “the good ol’ days,” and some decided to go as far as squeezing into their old uniforms from years ago.

Some students decided to break out their elementary school skirts and polos for "Throwback Day"

McKenna Kirkpatrick
Some students decided to break out their elementary school skirts and polos for “Throwback Day”

“I wore my eighth grade St. Wenceslaus sweatshirt loud and proud,” said freshman Grace Wagner. “It was fun to see where everyone has come from and how many schools are represented at Skutt Catholic,” Wagner continued.

Holly Carney and Dani Zedillo represent St. Gerald's

Allison Young
Holly Carney and Dani Zedillo represent St. Gerald’s

Friday, February 5 ended Catholic Schools Week with “Future Day,” allowing students to wear college gear. Some chose to represent their future alma mater, while others chose to model gear from their favorite sports team, or even something they just found in their parents’ closet.

IMG_3049Allison Young

Freshman Maria LaSala chose the latter, saying “I’m wearing an Air Force Academy shirt because both of my parents graduated from there and were both in the Air Force until I was eight years old. Although the Air Force probably isn’t in my future, it’s very important to me.”

Catholic Schools Week proved to be yet another fun week for the students and faculty of Skutt Catholic. Though the theme dress days and snow days may have been a highlight for most, we must remember what the week was really about: the wonderful Catholic education we get to receive at this school.

Catholic schools continue to prepare students for college the best they possibly can in a faith-filled, prayerful environment. Hopefully this week reminded us students of how blessed we are to receive a Catholic education.