• Snow Day tomorrow 1/11/18

On Wednesdays We Wear Ruffles

Ruffles and other Spring 2016 trends

Nessa Woosley, Website Details Coordinator

Giambattista Valli

From Crocs to bell-bottom jeans, fashion designers have predicted fashion trends with their spring fashion shows, and this year is no exception.

Top fashion designers, such as Vera Wang and Michael Kors, have designed and shown what’s in style for this upcoming spring. Many designers have already showcased their collections on the famous runways of London, Milan, New York and Paris.

There are some similarities among their collections which make up the spring trends of 2016. Even though what is shown on runways and what people would actually wear are very different, the trends come from the details and nuances that will fit in with normal clothing. This spring is all about open shoulders, ruffles, and more.

Open shoulder shirts and dresses will hopefully become another option for those warm days in the ever-changing Nebraska weather. “I really like open shoulder shirts. I just wore one yesterday,” junior Amira Barsoom commented.

While she approves of the style soon to invade our closets, not everyone is a fan of the bare shoulder look. “I hate them. Open shoulders don’t look good on many people,” junior Matthew Gromowsky says, clearly not happy about their existence in the fashion world.

White shirts aren’t a new fad and most everyone owns one, but many designers predict plain white shirts are going to be more prominent than ever this year. However, junior Kendall Fitzsimmons doesn’t think plain white shirts will catch on. “Why would anyone want to wear just a white shirt?” she wonders.

Carolin Zofall also doubts the trendiness of plain white shirts. “The one on the runway reminds me of a potato sack,” she observes. White shirts appeared on famous designers Vera Wang and Michael Kors lines as a major statement piece.

There was a time when pleats were only seen in offices and business attire. Movies like Clueless, made in 1995, increased the popularity of pleated skirts in schools and the outside world at that time. Pleated skirts have become extremely popular in more recent times with fashion influences from Taylor Swift and Ariana Grande.

“Pleated skirts with crop tops are really cute,” sophomore Haley Callahan said. On the other hand, junior Meg Spellman was appalled by the idea of pleated skirts outside of the Skutt Catholic uniform, exclaiming, “They look like lampshades! Gross!”

Ruffles have been around since the 15th and 16th centuries when only royalty could afford them. “Ruffles are meant to be chips, not skirts,” said junior Anna Vacek. The artistic ruching is probably most popular on skirts and dresses, but has also made distasteful appearances on shirts and shorts.

Kayla O’Grady isn’t pleased with ruffles supposedly making a comeback. “They are out of style, really ugly and look like the eighties,” she comments.

From beach bags to prison garb, stripes are everywhere. In the 1940’s and 1950’s stripes were most popular on swimwear, particularly men’s. Since then, stripes have invaded clothing from shirts to socks and everything in between. “I’m not a stripes person, especially when they are vertical,” junior Hunter Schwarzkopf commented.

It is thought that horizontal stripes have a widening effect so most steer clear of the fashion faux pas. “It depends on the colors, but I don’t mind them,” junior AJ Dominguez stated. He also revealed that he prefers vertical stripes on pants rather than shirts.

Wrap skirts are exactly what they seem: a skirt that appears to be wrapped around. There are different designs within this trend; some have a ribbon or tied fabric at the top, while others look as if they were tucked. “Wrap skirts are pretty and they could be very essential to business women, teachers, and other professional jobs,” junior Kelly Friend explains. She didn’t see herself going out to purchase one but could see the appeal to business women.

Junior Sarah Sloboth isn’t opposed to the idea of wrap skirts. “If they’re the right length, I like them,” she said.

Skutt Catholic students have come to the conclusion that they doubt these trends will make that big of an impact on their daily wardrobe.