• Big Hawks! Tomorrow we will being meeting up with your Little Hawks at 9:15 for a QR activity. Please bring your iPads to the gym.

• SkyHawks in the City registration is now open!

• Sign ups for stage crew and other jobs will be at the ITS meeting after school on Monday in Mr. Wright's room, A155.

• Get your free 25th Anniversary T-Shirts During Lunch!

• Angels prayer groups meet again on Thursday morning at 6:45 am in the Campus Ministry office for prayer, friendship, and doughnuts.

• All students interested in Vivace Band or Crew, please stop and see Mr. Storm in the music room by Tuesday, August 22nd.

• Set construction has begun for the fall play! Come to the stage after school at 3:30 and get involved.

• Any young man interested in joining the Guardians is invited to attend an information meeting on Thursday Aug. 17 @ 7am in Mr. Zavaletta's room.

• SkyHawks for Life will be hosting their first Life Nite on Tuesday Aug. 22 @ 7pm in the Student Center.

• Anyone interested in playing some chess, come to D104 Thursday, August 17th

Saying Goodbye

Skutt Catholic bids farewell to Mrs. Johnson

Photo by Bethany Cary
"She gives off an irreplaceable vibe. I miss her craziness and "mom" hugs so much." Bethany Cary (Junior)

Kayley Anderson, News/Feature Editor

The middle of the year is an odd time, for teachers and students alike. Everyone is sad Christmas break is over and counting down the long seemingly endless days till summer, but typically school continues on as it has before.

But this year a little something different happened in the halls of Skutt Catholic; a teacher moved.

Most people know of or have had Mrs. Johnson, but in case you haven’t had the privilege of meeting Mrs. Johnson, she taught English and sponsored the annual spring break trip abroad. The news of Mrs. Johnson’s departure hit a lot of people hard.

“I was super upset,” said junior Lizzy Ninneman. “I feel like she wasn’t only a good teacher in English, she also taught us so much about life and morals. She just has another way of looking at the world that a lot of people don’t have, and I think that’s a big loss for Skutt.”She wasn’t the only one who felt this way either.

Mrs. Johnson had an uncanny ability to expand a world view within a curriculum. Perhaps one of the reasons she was able to do this was because of her frequent traveling. Those who traveled with her on the annual spring break trips abroad formed bonds with her that went beyond a daily reading assignment.

“Mrs Johnson was so much more than what I would consider a normal teacher,” said Junior Sarah Lynam. “She was caring, open minded, intuitive, compassionate and because of those qualities she had a great view of the world that she tried to pass on to her students.”

Many people appreciated and loved this about Mrs. Johnson, myself included, but even when she found out she was leaving she still had something positive to leave us with.

“I guess I would say that so far I have learned that wherever we go, God is present, so defining “home” as a place is limiting,” said Mrs. Johnson. “I love you and all of the students who crossed my path at Skutt Catholic, and now here in Chicago, I am loving new people and they are loving me. It is all one big, exciting adventure if I choose to see it that way! Take care of Skutt Catholic, I did a lot of growing up there. Tell the teachers you love that they are doing a good job…sometimes teaching teenagers everyday can get a little overwhelming.”

While you will certainly be missed, we’ll always be wishing you the best back here at Skutt Catholic and many thanks for all the lives you’ve touched.