It’s Never Too Early?

Colleges' ridiculous overuse of recruitment

It’s Never Too Early?

Photo by Complex

Photo by Complex

Photo by Complex

Sam Wiegand, Staff Reporter

They say it’s never too early to look, weigh out your options, and choose what helps you succeed the most. They are wrong. It’s better to take your time and not start too early, especially with your choice of which college to attend.

Sadly that’s not the way most major universities view it. Sure it’s not entirely bad that colleges are showing interest, but in some instances it should be handled differently.

Austin Kelly, an 8th grader, committed to play Mississippi State baseball.

Scout

In the fall, students took several standardized tests, but along with those tests, many people gave out their information to colleges allowing them to contact us. It was not a bad idea on the outside, maybe a scholarship or even just a few emails or letters.

The truth is, unless you score an incredibly high score, there most likely won’t be any scholarships handed to you at this point. In fact, the only thing being given is dozens of letters and hundreds of emails.

“I’m receiving almost fifteen emails a day,” sophomore Ryan Chapman said. That means that someone who is three years away from actually going to college is receiving dozens of emails, daily.

The worst of this ridiculously early recruitment happens to great athletes. Kids in sixth grade are having college scouts watching their games. Not only does this add an incredible amount of stress to preteens, but it takes away the fun of the game.

A recent example of this involved Lebron James’s oldest son Lebron James Jr.  At age ten, a video of his highlights came out and he received multiple scholarships. A ten-year-old, whose body is nowhere near fully developed, received full ride athletic scholarships.

To put that in perspective, this is equivalent to a high school basketball coach going and watching a second grader’s game to prepare for his team of the future. To describe it in one word: absurd.

Truthfully, colleges’ interest in people isn’t all bad. It gives out a lot of hope and makes you feel like someone is actually interested in you. It just feels like it’s being done to death.

Constantly receiving emails from dozens of colleges that I have absolutely no interest in whatsoever gets a bit annoying after a few months. Athletes being constantly watched via live, or even through video highlights dampers the overall fun of being in a sport.

The good thing is, by senior year when it’s actually time to look for colleges, you are fully prepared.