Once a Wildcat, Always a Wildcat

The cast of High School Musical reunites for their tenth anniversary

Allison Young, Staff Reporter

Photo by Lucas Grabeel
The cast reunited in a gym full of Wildcat decor

The first installment of an iconic musical trilogy from our childhood has recently reached its ten-year anniversary.

In “High School Musical,” the combination of a musically talented jock, a wallflower, a Broadway-bound brother-sister duo, an athlete with his eyes on the prize, and an academic decathlon champ, along with catchy songs and a few valuable life lessons, form one of the most influential movie series of our generation. These qualities have left fans discussing the trilogy, commonly even mentioning it on social media websites, which made their January 20th reunion an even bigger event.

The most buzz about this reunion has been surrounding the devastating absence of Zac Efron. In the movies, Efron played heartthrob Troy Bolton, boyfriend of Hudgens’ Gabriella Montez. Whatever happened to “once a wildcat, always a wildcat”?

Though Troy may have bolted, in an interview with E! Online he said the chances he’d want to reunite with the High School Musical cast were “100 percent.” “I continue to see the guys from High School Musical,” said Efron, “and every time I do there’s just this look between us and it’s so cool because we never forget a single moment of that experience,” Efron added.

Though Zac appeared in a separate pre-recorded segment, just about all the world has to say to him is: “Get your head in the game.”

This special 10th anniversary telecast consisted of streaming of the movie, as well as reminiscent commentary from some of the cast during commercial breaks. Vanessa Hudgens, Ashley Tisdale, Lucas Grabeel, Corbin Bleu, and Monique Coleman gathered in a gym full of Wildcat decor while discussing everything from tough rehearsals full of dancing to their cringe-worthy/bedazzled early 2000s wardrobe.

They also talked about their favorite scenes, some including Sharpay and Ryan’s extravagant acting warm ups, Gabriella and Troy’s romantic scene on the rooftop of the school, and the beloved closing number, “We’re All in This Together.”

On top of all this, viewers got to see the cast’s original auditions, and a special pre-recorded video of Zac Efron, who sent his apologies for not being able to make it as well as thanking the fans for making the movie franchise as special as it is.

This two hour High School Musical reunion special was worth every second, bringing everyone back a decade to the premiere of a childhood favorite. To this day, and forevermore, High School Musical leaves its loving audience forever chanting “What team? Wildcats!”