• Snow Day tomorrow 1/11/18

Christmas Coffee Cup Controversy

Nessa Woosley

For years, Starbucks consumers have looked forward to posting a picture of their regular Venti Caramel Macchiato in a seasonal winter-themed cup to Instagram (likely with their name spelled wrong).2015 starbucks

The coffee empire began this holiday gimmick in 1997. The designs through out the years have been for the majority a bright red with varying designs consisting mostly of snowflakes, trees and other secular winter-related objects. This year that’s all the cup was, a simple red cup. No graphics, words, or anything but the color red. There has never been anything close to a Nativity or religious Christmas specific images on the cups.

The original idea of the cups was for them to be inclusive of all backgrounds and personalities. The designers stated that they were meant to be like a blank slate for customers to personalize as they pleased. Some caught on to the ‘create your own cup’ intention but most have not. Starbucks is a secular business and tries to cater to as broad a group as possible. Christmas is not the only holiday in December.doodled cup

Joshua Feurerstein was the man who began what he calls a movement. He personally believes Starbucks is trying to “take Christ out of Christmas.” “I think it’s completely ridiculous,” sophomore Amelia McConnell commented. Even if that was remotely close to the worldwide coffee chain’s intentions, no cup could possibly succeed in that because without Christ there would be no Christmas.

Joshua challenged people to go buy a drink at Starbucks and tell the barista that your name is ‘Merry Christmas’ so they have to write it on your cup, even though they may still spell it incorrectly. This is great and all but he is just encouraging people to buy more Starbucks. Freshman Zoe Clark said, “That is just insane! I hadn’t heard about this at all.” doodled 3

This event has become so much more than it should have due to the baffling idea that someone would be offended about a company being inclusive. The majority of the population discussing this is more angry that this situation has been deemed a newsworthy issue than angry at the cute new cups. “I like the cups! They’re basic but still really cute,” Ally Pachunka appreciates the simplicity of this year’s cup.