25 Questions: School Spirit Queen, Sarah Schrader

A sensational look into the life and mind of a Skutt Catholic activity dynamo

Left: Sarah in her band major uniform, ready to perform (Credit Allison Young)

Right: Sarah onstage, either asleep or dead

Left: Sarah in her band major uniform, ready to perform (Credit Allison Young) Right: Sarah onstage, either asleep or dead

Lily Yates, Copy Editor

You’ve almost definitely seen her before. The spirit of Skutt Catholic incarnate makes her presence known in these hallowed halls through a myriad of extracurriculars that would daunt any mere mortal student. So naturally, the Flightline decided to give the people what they really want: the life and times of junior, drum major extraordinaire, and school spirit queen, Sarah Schrader. Armed with 25 rapid-fire questions to show the true inner workings of this enigma, plus one cheerful Sarah, the public’s thirst for this elusive character’s knowledge was finally slaked.

Do you have a nickname?

“I guess…Schrader. Or Schrades. Any variation thereof of my last name.”

If you were stranded on a desert island, what 2 items would you take with you?

[This answer was immediate.] “I’d bring probably my iPad and a wifi console so I could watch DCI [Drum Corps International] videos.”

How would your best friend describe you?

“Overachiever, or like ‘doesn’t know own limits of sleep deprivation,’ that’s a thing.”

If you were an animated character, who would you be and why?

“I’d be Belle (super basic one, I know) because that’s my favorite Disney princess. I took the test at Disney World and that was the closest match. The other one would be Meg from Hercules,” [laughing] “because I love that movie and Hercules is just my favorite.”

What is your most marked characteristic?

“I hope it would be that I’m funny…”

Where are you in the family birth order?

“Middle child (frowny face).”

What is your most prized possession?

“My clarinet. My baby.”

What is your favorite place to eat?

“I really like Chili’s… now it sounds kind of basic, but that’s where we always go for my birthday.”

What song are you listening to right now?

“Probably the Hymn of Axiom by Vienna Teng. I’ve been arranging it so it’s been stuck in my head for like 8 days.”

The infamous incident of 2007. Does it still haunt you?

“Yeah, it does. Every night.”

Which word or phrase do you overuse?

“There’s probably a lot…ooh, ‘outie’ like, ‘they dead, they outie.’ Or ‘same.’ I say ‘same’ all the time.”

If you were a tree, what kind would you be?

“A maple. Because they’re fabulous in the fall.”

On what occasion do you lie?

“Telling my parents what time I actually went to bed last night. Like, for example, I go at midnight and then ‘Oh yeah! 10:30..’ It’s always earlier than what actually happened.”

How many hours of sleep do you get per night?

“This is kind of an elaborate explanation?…School year, I average about 3-4 hours a night. During the summer, I average about 13-14. Summer is my hibernation period, that way during the school year I don’t die. I do make up 30 minutes to an hour of sleep during the day by falling asleep for definite amounts of time during different classes.”

What is your motto?

“I just thought of one right now, I don’t think I’ve ever said this or… lived by this, but,” [laughing] “If you can’t stand the heat, get out of the kitchen?”

What would be a situation of perfect happiness?

“I’d get to travel anywhere for a summer or something. I’d get a whole bunch of money and plane tickets at the end of May, like ‘Have fun!’ and then just go places.”

How many activities are you in?

[Sarah went on to list an extensive array of groups spanning theatre, choir, band, speech, campus ministry departments and more that amounted to a whopping total of 13.]

Dogs or cats?

“Cats.”

What is your dream occupation?

“Well, probably someone who travels for music, so like a professional performer.”

If you could visit or live in any country where would it be?

“Germany, because I can kind of speak the language which is pretty sweet.”

How important are grades to you in the scheme of things?

“They’re important, but I don’t obsess over them.”

What is your favorite out of all the activities you do?

“Band. (Holla.)”

Who or what do you love most in the world?

“If we’re talking about what, I love instrumental music, in particular marching band and drum corps. I will like, not do my homework and just watch drum corps videos, so that’s a good healthy thing to be involved in.”

How often do you go out to eat?

“Probably twice a month.”

25. Is there anything else you want people to know about you or that you want to say?

“I guess a life advice thing: get involved in as much as you can as soon as you can. Because you can always take away activities and have the fun memories of doing them instead of not doing it, or doing it later and having the regret of not having done it sooner.”

From the mouth of Sarah Schrader herself: this spritely, busy lifestyle may admittedly not be for everyone, but it is certainly worth it in the end.

Lily Yates - Quintessence Editor-in-Chief

Lily became a member of The Flightline in August of 2015. She is a senior this year and enjoys an array of activities including choir, theatre and slam poetry. She is also on staff as a library aide at the Omaha Public Library. You can email her at [email protected]