Save the Bees, Please!

The buzz on Skutt Catholic's newest club

Save the Bees, Please!

President of Pollen Nation, senior Anne Watts

Photo by Gabby Giesler

Photo by Gabby Giesler

Photo by Gabby Giesler

Gabby Giesler, Editor-in-Chief

“OMG, a bee! Kill it, kill it!” exclaims a teenager as they observe a bee peacefully perched on a flower, not harming anyone. Bees are a misunderstood creature, but a recently-formed club at Skutt Catholic is trying to do something about that.

Senior Anne Watts founded Pollen-Nation, a club meant to raise awareness about bees and their importance to our world. “What I really love about this club is that it’s full of so many positive and vibrant people who really want to contribute to a healthier planet, even if the contribution is small.”

The three focuses of the Bee Club are to raise awareness, encourage other to adopt bee and pollinator-friendly habits (for example, buying honey from local beekeepers rather than large corporations that use dangerous factory-farming methods), and start a pollinator garden at school. This garden is the main focus of this year. A pollinator garden is a garden that has specific plants that attract pollinators, such as lavender, sage, and poppies.

Watts enlisted AP Biology teacher Mrs. Fuelberth to help. “We are all stewards of God’s earth. This was my opportunity to share the importance of taking care of our resources.” Fuelberth said.

The students took part in the Envirothon Competition in February and placed sixth to help raise money for their club and its goals. “I love being in a club that genuinely cares about the world we live in.” Says senior Meghan McGrath.

The meetings are twice a month on Thursdays after school in Mrs. Fuelberth’s classroom, and anyone can attend. For any further inquires, contact Anne Watts or Mrs. Fuelberth.