Paying “The Visit” to Theaters This Fall

Nessa Woosley

“Would you mind getting into the oven to clean it?”

Screaming, jumping, and unexpected twists are all what one expects from a horror movie. “The Visit” surely deserves all of the hype that it has been receiving lately. It seems like everywhere you look the trailer is playing. It delivers on the wishes of the viewer by leaving you looking over your shoulder. This new PG-13 motion picture is worthy of a four stars out of five rating.

“The Visit” is one of the latest box office releases. It is a story of two teenagers meeting their grandparents for the first time. They have never met their grandparents because their mother left home at the age of 19 to marry an older man. Since then, the teens’ father left them. The teens decide they will stay with their grandparents for a week so their mother can go on a cruise with her boyfriend. The older of the two decides she wants to make this trip into a documentary. While they are at their grandparents’ house, everything is fine for the first couple of days, then some weird things happen when they play hide and go seek and when their grandmother asks her granddaughter to climb inside the oven to clean it out. Their grandfather is adamant about the teens not leaving the guest room after 9:30. Grandmother roams about the house at night on which grandfather blames her age but the teens know it is more than that. Things really go south when they decide to place a camera in the living room in hopes to see their Nana aimlessly walking about but they catch so much more on video.

I appreciated how they really took the time to develop the characters and how the two main characters add the perfect amount of comic relief. Although, about halfway through the movie I found myself sitting in my seat, curled up in a ball on the verge of tears. I applaud the insane plot twist which occurs towards the end of the movie.

The movie was definitely terrifying but nothing really happened until the second half. Although I loved the character development, does setting the scene really have to take an hour? It took about ten minutes to meet the grandparents and they seemed completely normal for almost 45 minutes, but thankfully things picked up. The overall movie still has you sitting on the edge of your seat most of the time.