Pink Sunday

Pink Sunday

Gabby Giesler, Feature Writer

imageLilly Pulitzer, notorious for her bright, resort-ready styles and beachy-inspired accessories, collaborated with Target and released an exclusive collection on April 20th. The highly-anticipated collection had been hyped up since its announcement in January. Sorority girls, stylish teenagers, and preppy moms alike saved their money for months to blow all of it on this collection. I’m not embarrassed to say that I, too, was one of them. I saved all my tips from working at Mockingbird Cupcakes, deposited all my spare change into my bank account, and bought a venti cinnamon- dolce latte as I stood in line at the Target Superstore in L Street Plaza at 6:30am with my Lilly-loving BFF, junior Alexa Narke. We had been waiting for this collection for years, it seemed like. As we stood in line on the dreary morning of April 20th, we met some fellow dedicates who worked at J.Crew and Sephora. As more people lined up behind us, all I was thinking about was, “Are they going to grab the same sizes as me?” Materialism at its finest, people. Then, the doors opened. It was worse than Black Friday. I’ve gone Black Friday shopping since I was probably ten years old, and I have never experienced savage shoppers like I did at the Lilly release. When we got out of the car to go wait in line, women came out of nowhere to sprint ahead of us so they could be in line before us. They bragged about their avid shopping habits, trying to be intimidating. Alexa and I sprinted into the store, splitting up to grab pieces from the women’s and girls’ sections. It got pretty hostile. I went to grab a tote (there were three) and a woman bumped in front of me and took all three. She laughed and walked away. Moving on, grabbing all the girls’ larges and XL’s, I met Alexa in the dressing rooms and we tried all of the clothes on. The employees that day were clearly freaked out and didn’t understand the hype. After we tried on what we wanted, ladies were waiting outside our dressing room like hyenas to take whatever clothing items we didn’t want. It was strange and admirable at the same time. Of course, good ol’ Nebraska stores didn’t carry the full collection since it’s more of a southern brand. I raced home to snatch up the rest of the items on my list online. Every single item was sold out. As if this wasn’t the worst news already, it got progressively worse. Target would not be restocking the collection. Now, I don’t know a lot about how the economy works or whatever, but if the collection sells out within ten minutes online and in nearly all of the stores, the supply should be extensive enough to fulfill the consumers’ needs. Target knew the hype they had created, but fell short with the actual release. Alexa and I were few of the lucky ones who scored by sheer dedication. Those who didn’t wait in line pretty much got nothing. The whole collection was such a hit that nobody got anything except for the dedicated ones and those filthy eBay trolls. Smooth moves, Target. I knew a collection this awesome had to have its downfall somehow. Although I’m thankful for my three dresses and ponytails, (and the money I ended up saving) Lilly Pulitzer for Target was definitely too good to be true.