SkyHawk Speech Seeks Quad-Peat

"It's easy to feel the pressure to continue the team's success," said senior Sammi Turco, member of the varsity speech team. That pressure pushes the team to work even harder. "All spring break, we've been at Skutt practicing," Turco said.

SkyHawk Speech Seeks Quad-Peat

Sammi Turco and Cole Scott perform at the RCC Speech Championship held at Skutt Catholic last month.

Photo by Tom Hermanek

Photo by Tom Hermanek

Photo by Tom Hermanek

Tom Hermanek, Staff Reporter

Quad-Peat. Qua-peat. Four peat. It’s no small feat for any sport or activity team, no matter how you say it, and it’s exactly what the SkyHawk speech team is trying to pull off this spring.

Just last month, the speech team took first place at the RCC Speech Championship held at Skutt Catholic. “To prepare for RCC, the competitors practiced nearly every day. It was somewhat stressful to prepare for the tournament,” freshman Caroline Hilgert said. She added, “RCC was incredibly fun, and I hope to be able to compete next year.”

With back-to-back-to-back state titles under their belts, the speech team has a winning reputation, and the pressure is on to make sure that such a reputation is maintained. They are trying to win their fourth consecutive state title. According to Hilgert, the official name for this phenomenon is a Quad-Peat. However,  there is still a bit of confusion over what this is called. “It was called a Quad-Peat but we had a spelling error on a poster, so now we call it a Qua-Peat,” she explained.

“It’s easy to feel the pressure to continue the team’s success,” said senior Sammi Turco, member of the varsity speech team. That pressure pushes the team to work even harder. “All spring break, we’ve been at Skutt practicing,” Turco said.

Dedicated students like freshman Caroline Hilgert are working hard in hopes of earning yet another state title. “I hope to be on the district team in the next three years. I have learned a lot that will help me in my future speech career.”

The passion of the students involved in speech is what allows the team to excel. Turco said, “I personally love performing in front of a large audience. It’s special when you can command a room to feel or think a certain way.”

“There is nothing like making a group laugh,” she said.

Hilgert is enjoying speech, and looks forward to her coming years at Skutt Catholic. “Being part of speech is an amazing experience. Because the team is so successful, it makes it that much more fun,” she said.

Tom Hermanek - Managing Editor

Tom became a member of The Flightline in January of 2015. He is a senior who is involved in mock trial and swimming. Off campus, Tom spends his time with friends or working at Starbucks. You can email him at [email protected]