Nebraska Football: A Meandering Maelstrom

Nebraska needs to go from mediocre to magnificent for themselves and the state

The man who wears a similar hat has lots of work to do.

Photo by Andrew Mize

Photo by Andrew Mize

Photo by Andrew Mize

Andrew Mize, Sports Editor

As a lifelong Husker fan, I have seen some pretty bad Husker seasons. In my opinion, this is by far the worst. I started out the year knowing the Huskers had a tough schedule, playing three preseason top 10 teams along with other tough road games, such as Oregon or  Minnesota. However, I was optimistic that the team could fight its way to an 8-4 or 9-3 regular season record and secure a decent bowl game. Right now, I am truly hopeless in regards to Husker football.

After the Huskers first loss to Oregon, I was still cautiously optimistic. The Huskers had played a good second half and showed potential to improve. The loss to Northern Illinois was the first major warning sign. Tanner Lee had a pretty bad day, but the Huskers are so much better talent-wise than Northern Illinois. That game should not have been close. Going into the Huskers’ game against Wisconsin, I honestly felt we could win it. The pre-game hype was immense and the stadium was electric. When Aaron Williams returned an interception for a touchdown to tie the game at 17, I truly thought we were going to win. However, in the end, Wisconsin outplayed us. They were simply a better team. The Ohio State game was the among the worst Husker games I have ever been to. I left at half. To be blunt, the Huskers didn’t even look like they were trying. It was embarrassing. They collapsed. Unless something gives the Huskers a new spark, they probably won’t win another game all year.

I blame Mike Riley for the team’s woes. He needs to be fired. I am sick of moral victories like we have sometimes had. I am sick of being embarrassed. We don’t have to win every game every year, but at least be competitive in every game. We have been blown out way too many times in recent years. In the game against Ohio State, Riley couldn’t even get his players to try.

That said, I really have no idea how to turn the program around. We’ve tried new coaches. We’ve tried new schemes. We’ve recruited competitively. The culture of winning just isn’t there. I am a Scott Frost fan, and I hope the Huskers can hire him. However, I don’t really know why he would want to come here. All that remains of the formerly dominant Husker football program is our sellout-streak. We aren’t a powerhouse anymore. I hope that Frost can return us to greatness, but I don’t know if even he can.

Despite a disappointing freshman season, Scott Frost and the new era Cornhusker team are ready for an even more successful season. They grew a lot together and showed signs of greatness. This season, headed by quarterback Adrian Martinez, the Huskers have not too many formidable opponents and an easier schedule, which provides Husker fans looking up and anticipating this upcoming season highly.

This upcoming season will be indication of how the Nebraska football fares for the next few years and September can’t come any sooner.

Andrew Mize

Andrew joined the Flightline in August of 2017. He is a senior this year, involved in cross country, track, HOSA and Guardians. Outside of school, he enjoys watching football, Netflix and listening to music. You can email him at [email protected]