Local Band Plays Fundraiser Show for Flood Victims

Skutt alumni does his part in the community

Alum Zephyr Desa plays drums in his band “Pedro Wilson”

Photo by Blaine Wikoff

Photo by Blaine Wikoff

Photo by Blaine Wikoff

Blaine Wikoff, Media Editor

The floods in Nebraska and Iowa have been treacherous, destroying homes, wiping out land and even being fatal in some cases. There have been almost one billion dollars in damages and at least three deaths. Governor Pete Ricketts has declared a national emergency and estimated more than 2,000 homes and 340 businesses were damaged or destroyed.

Many charities and organizations are doing their part to help with the recovery. For example, Skutt Catholic hosted a charity dress day in order to raise funds for repairs and those affected by the flood.

Skutt Catholic alum, Zephyr Desa (current freshman at the University of Nebraska-Lincoln) wanted to make a difference in his own way. Long past his days of the Skutt Catholic rock band “Experimental Rocket Society”, Zephyr’s new Wahoo based band “Pedro Wilson” performed a charity gig at the Wahoo Public Auditorium. The admission was either a $5 free will donation, or any supplies that could aid those affected such as water bottles or preservable food. The audience got to enjoy a fifteen long song set list of covers such as, “Whole Lotta Love,” “Gold on the Ceiling,” and “Hey Jude.”

“It was a cool experience, I’m glad I was able to make a difference,” says Desa

The event raised over $700 dollars and brought many resources to those in need. If you want to contribute to the cause click Here.

Blaine Wikoff

Blaine joined The Flightline in January of 2018. He is a senior this year, involved in show choir, theatre, cross country, rock climbing club and band. Outside of school he plays bass, watches movies, plays video games and listens to the Red Hot Chili Peppers. You can email him at [email protected]