Avril Lavigne is Back and Better Than Ever

Our favorite reckless-teen pop star returns to the scene for the first time in six years.

Head Above Water Photoshoot

Head Above Water Photoshoot

Photo by Avril Lavigne/Twitter

Head Above Water Photoshoot

Photo by Avril Lavigne/Twitter

Photo by Avril Lavigne/Twitter

Head Above Water Photoshoot

Emma Brisbois, Managing Editor

I was shocked to see that on February 15, 2019 the Avril Lavigne had dropped an album. Could it possibly be true? My favorite pop star of the 2010’s was back in the music business? I quickly tapped on the iTunes logo on my phone, and could barely believe my eyes. My gothic, grunge-pop queen was finally back, after six long years. Yes, Avril Lavigne had released her latest album: Head Above Water.

While her 2013 album, Here’s to Never Growing Up, was all about the reckless all-fun and no tears aspects of teenage years, it had heavy drums, lots of roaring guitar, and carefree lyrics. But, the artist has gone to hell and back since her last album, suffering an intense divorce and being diagnosed with Lyme disease. The Divorce was not messy, but any kind of divorce is taxing on a person. Not to mention, the singer fell ill. Lyme disease causes terrible fatigue and caused an overall decline in health. But, the musician is back, and she assured fans that she won’t let sickness hold her back.

“Head Above Water”, Lavigne’s breakout single provides a toned down version of the loud singer we once knew. Her vocals still ring as powerful and strong, lyrics pleading to her God to be able to make it through the tough times ahead. “Tell Me it’s Over”, another song on the track, preaches of how the past continues to plague her future, but she won’t let it hold her back from greatness.

Popular rapper, Nicki Minaj, is featured on the track “Dumb Blonde” which was a collaboration that really excited me at first. But, sadly the track fell flat for me, feeling like the styles clashed, the style felt forced, and caused serious problems for the song altogether. “Bigger Wow” was another song that was unfortunately disappointed me. The song felt like every other mediocre pop song on the radio, with a string section, a faux house-style beat, and computer-stylized guitar the song felt awkwardly repetitive and fell into the category of pop that just didn’t “wow” me.

One of my favorite tracks on the album was “Warrior”. It’s soft piano section with her sweet vocals layered overtop left me wanting to hear her tell her story over and over. The song showcased her classic style, but with more mature lyrics, in a cool power pop-ballad style that she’s made hers.

Overall, the album was incredibly well written and conveyed an amazing message, but there were a few tracks that seemed to land in the pile of pop mediocrity. Avril managed to take on a new style while still keeping some of the fun within this new album. Not so bad for taking a six year hiatus.

Emma Brisbois

Emma joined The Flightline in August of 2017. She is a senior this year, involved in cheerleading and show choir. Outside of school, she enjoys going to concerts, playing the piano and hanging out with friends. You can email her at [email protected]