Extracurriculars: More Than a College Résumé Boost

Why you should only be involved in activities that truly interest you

Alaina Anderson, Supervising Editor

“Am I going to get in?” “Have I done enough to be a student at my dream school?” These are both questions that run rampantly through high school juniors and seniors as they think about their future college and can cause some students to get involved in certain activities just to simply be involved. If you are joining an activity for that reason, then you need to rethink that decision.

Activities serve as a way for students to get involved in things that they are passionate about. Therefore, the members of a certain activity are members because they enjoy participating in said activity and want it to be an enjoyable experience, but certain members with different motives can cause activities to be miserable.

People who join activities simply to put it on their college applications are detracting from the positive experience for other students. More often than not, these members choose to do the bare minimum within that activity, which means all the work that they are not doing falls on the other members of the group.

Also, an overall lack of interest is present in members who join simply for a résumé boost. This disinterest is annoying to members who actually feel passionate about the activity and can cause them to no longer find the activity enjoyable.

High school is supposed to be a time for students to try new things and explore their interests. If you join an activity that doesn’t interest you, you’re not only hurting yourself but also taking the spot of someone who is actually interested in that activity.

Most colleges prefer quality over quantity, so only get involved if you’re actually interested in an activity. Then, you’ll be able to enjoy your activities and so will others.

Alaina Anderson

Alaina joined The Flightline in January of 2017. She is a junior this year and is involved in softball, student council and HOSA. In her free time, she enjoys traveling and going on mission trips. You can email her at [email protected]