RCC Basketball Hosts Exciting Games and Emotional Moments

Skyhawk Hoops on full showcase in conference tourney

Photo by Mount Michael Twitter

Photo by Mount Michael Twitter

Photo by Mount Michael Twitter

Cole Mingo, Staff Reporter

Comebacks, superb basketball, and a paragon of sportsmanship marked the end of the annual River Cities Conference Basketball Tournament. The tournament featured both talented varsity squads from Skutt Catholic.

On the girls’ side, the Skyhawks earned the top seed, which set the team up to play the eighth seed Ralston Rams. Skutt cruised by Ralston, emerging victorious by a score of 69-22. Eleven different Hawks put up points in the game. Moving into the semifinals, Skutt took on Gross; the Cougars had upset Beatrice in overtime three days prior. The Skyhawks rolled on to a 61-31 win over Gross, featuring Sydney McDermott with 19 points and Lindsay Krause with 18. The Lady Hawks took their two wins and prepared to battle South Sioux City in the conference championship. After a hard fought game on both teams, Skutt fell to the Cardinals by a final tally of 69-59. The Lady Hawks finished in second place, which was an improvement from their second runner-up in last year’s conference tournament.

For the boys’ basketball squad, the Skyhawks came in as a second seed, slotted to play seventh seed Ralston in their first game. The Hawks were able to sneak past upset-minded Ralston by a score of 69-63. Jake Kudron led the scoring with 14 points. Next up: Mount Michael. This game held a particularly emotional sentiment for Mount Michael sophomore Kyle Pelan. Pelan’s father passed away abruptly earlier in the week, and both the Skyhawks and the Knights felt the impact on the court. In an even more heartwarming occurrence, Pelan scored the game’s first field goal, which brought the spectators to their feet. After the first half, Skutt led Mount Michael by 10. However, it seemed to be Mount Michael’s night, outscoring the Skyhawks 18-6 in the fourth quarter. In underdog fashion, the Knights overcame the Skyhawks with a final score of 48-44. “I’m telling you, it was like a movie. It was storybook,” said Mount Michael head basketball coach Derrik Spooner. Due to the game’s result, the Skyhawks played South Sioux City in a third place match. The Hawks soared to a 66-21 victory, finishing in third place. This conclusion is a tad disappointing for the team, who entered the tournament aiming to repeat as conference champions.

The River Cities Conference Tournament is a special time for Skutt Catholic Hoops. “It was kind of surreal playing in my last RCC Tournament. It’s becoming more and more real that it’s almost over.” said senior leader Kate Drueke. The girls’ and boys’ Nebraska State Basketball Tournaments fall on the first and second weeks of March, respectively. Both programs are performing at a high level, and championship trophies are in their sights. Let’s root on our Skyhawks and show all that V-I-C-T-O-R-Y is our Skyhawk battle cry!