Growing Speech Team Gears Up for State

Speech gain more members, therefore increasing their chances at state

Growing Speech Team Gears Up for State

The team poses for a picture with their medals and trophies at Millard South.

MaryRose Olson, Staff Reporter

State speech is not too far away and the speech team with its many new members are gearing up for it.

The head coach, Mr. Goetzinger stated, “The team’s goals are, firstly, to build our program among novices, since most of our team graduated last year; and, second, to improve and expand our group events; and, finally, to have event finalists in all nine NSAA categories at districts.”

This year there are 35 people on the speech team and about 75 percent of the team are novices. The most popular events to perform are poetry and dramatic interpretation. However, the events oral interpretation of drama, duet acting, and humorous interpretation are more popular and entertaining for audiences.

Students joined the team for a variety of reasons. Speech veteran Hannah Rodricks said, “I joined speech because thought it would help me with public speaking and give me more life skills.” Novice Jackson Turman joined because many of his friends were involved in it.

Senior Ann Gregory said, “I probably spend about 6-10 hours a week on speech alone. Four hours for oral interpretation of drama (OID), then two hours for duet acting and persuasive speaking.”

With all of the new members, students must put in the extra effort in order to make the district team. They work hard in long practices to perfect their pieces. The district team has a limited number of available spots. There are only two spots for each event with an alternate.

The team has not been able to attend as many meets this year due to one-act play conflicts and due to weather. However, Gregory believes that with everyone working hard that will do well at state.

Goetzinger stated, “This year’s team is less experienced, but they also work harder than previous years’ teams.”

Speech districts are being hosted at Skutt on March fourteenth and state is on the twenty-second and twenty-third of March at the University of Kearney (UNK).

With all the hard work and commitment to the speech team, they are likely to be successful in their endeavors and it may possibly result in another state title for Skutt.