9 New TV Shows to Watch this Year

Upcoming shows premiering on on TV in 2019

9 New TV Shows to Watch this Year

Photo by Shutterstock

Photo by Shutterstock

Photo by Shutterstock

Gracie Killgore, Op/Ed Editor

2019 promises to be a big year for TV with multiple anticipatedshows debuting on various channels. Often, those new year’s resolutions fizzle out a month into the year, and things like exercising are replaced by watching enticing TV shows. Here are nine brand new TV shows coming out in 2019 to fuel your TV addiction and give you an excuse to stay home

1. I Am the Night

Photo by TNT Drama
This new drama/mystery series is directed by Patty Jenkins, the director of Wonder Woman. The mini-series is based on real events involving a teenage girl named Fauna Hodel who is attempting to discover where she came from. Fauna makes a shocking discovery and also meets a reporter who assists her on her journey to discover her connection to the Black Dahlia murder, one of the most famous crimes in Hollywood. Tune in to TNT on January 28 to begin the mystery.

2. Good Omens

Photo by Amazon Prime Video
An angel and a demon are forced to form an alliance to stop Armageddon and the end of the world in this new comedy/fantasy series. The angel and demon have lost an 11-year old boy who happens to be the Antichrist with plans to bring the end of the world. The two begin an adventure to stop the boy and save the world from its demise. Watch this new series on Amazon Prime Video.
3. The Masked Singer

Photo by Fox
This new Fox TV series includes celebrities such as Ken Jeong, Jenny McCarthy, Robin Thicke, and Nicole Scherzinger, who attempt to name a masked singer performing in an intricate costume. These masked singers are expected to be Grammy and Emmy winners, athletes, and other celebrities. The worst of the singers must be unmasked, and someone is expected to be unmasked each week
4. Schooled 

Photo by ABC

The Goldbergs spinoff series takes place in the 90s with Lainey (AJ Michalka) beginning her new job as a music teacher at William Penn Academy. The new ABC show features some of the beloved actors from The Goldbergs as well as Brett Dier, Tim Meadows and Bryan Callen.

5. Fam 

Photo by CBS
A new sitcom aired on CBS involving Clem (Nina Dobrev), a hardworking woman who established a perfect life along with the perfect fiancé. However, her half sister moves in with her to escape their father, disrupting Clem’s perfect life. As Clem lives with her half-sister, she begins to realize that the combining of her families may be true perfection.
6. Proven Innocent

Photo by Fox Broadcasting Company
After being wrongfully convicted in a murder case that received national attention, Madeline Scott works alongside the lawyer who helped exonerate her after 10 years in prison. The underdog team fights to defend the innocent and continues to look for the real murderer of the case for which Scott was wrongfully convicted. Check out this new series premiering on February 15 on Fox.
7. The Umbrella Academy

Photo by Courtesy of Netflix
This Netflix series scheduled to premiere on February 15 is based off the comic book series by Gerard Way. The show takes place in a world where 43 babies are born to women who weren’t pregnant the day before. Seven of these children are adopted by a billionaire. The billionaire’s six surviving children reunite as adults after parting ways as teens when their father dies. The children, trained as superheroes by their father, try to solve the mystery of his death.

8. The Enemy Within

Photo by NBC
The once talented CIA operative Erica Shepherd becomes America’s most infamous traitor forced to serve a life sentence in a Supermax prison. Although reluctant to do so, FBI agent Will Keaton asks for Shepherd’s help to hunt down a criminal Shepherd happens to know well. Similar to The Blacklist, however, The Enemy Within promises to be darker. Tune into this NBC show to experience unexpected twists throughout the series.
9. The Passage

Photo by Fox

This new Fox drama series is set in a time where humans discover a virus that has the ability to cure all disease or destroy humankind. In order to run tests on this virus, a confidential medical facility called Project Noah is established. FBI agent Brad Wolgast (Mark-Paul Gosselaar) is ordered to find a young girl to be the subject of the tests conducted for Project Noah. However, Wolgast has second thoughts and chooses to defend the girl no matter the cost.

Gracie Killgore

Gracie joined The Flightline in January of 2018. She is a junior this year, involved in tennis, HOSA and FBLA . Outside of school, she enjoys online shopping, hanging out with friends and watching Netflix. You can email her at [email protected]