The College Football Playoff is Upon Us

Annual playoff excites fans from all over

The+2019+College+Football+Playoff+bracket+is+set.+

The College Football Playoff is Upon Us

The 2019 College Football Playoff bracket is set.

Jack McGonigal, Sports Assistant

It’s just that time again, people preparing themselves for the holidays, and they call it “The Most Wonderful time of the Year” but in reality it’s called that because it’s the best time of the year in College Football. For the first time in the history of the playoff, three unbeatens are in the playoff. This year’s edition includes Alabama, Clemson, Notre Dame, and Oklahoma.

Alabama:

The Crimson Tide are the only team to never miss the playoff in its five year history. They are led by Heisman runner-up Tua Tagovailoa. He’s a quarterback that stepped up in one of the toughest scenarios possible. Tagovailoa made his Alabama debut trailing… in the National Championship Game a year ago. He’d been behind Jalen Hurts all year long, until Hurts wasn’t performing to head coach Nick Saban’s expectations. As a Freshman, Tagovailoa brought the Tide back to win their second national championship in three years.

Alabama comes in to the playoff yet unscathed, but fighting off Georgia yet again in the SEC Championship. They’re matched up with the Oklahoma Sooners at the Orange Bowl in Miami.

Clemson:

The Tigers are no stranger to the playoff as well. They make their fourth consecutive trip to the tournament. Clemson has adjusted well to the switch of quarterbacks midway through the season. Trevor Lawrence has performed well, and has led the Tigers to another ACC Championship as they defeated Pittsburgh in Charlotte for the title.

Head coach Dabo Swinney is all about tradition, and when he found out his Tigers were playing for another national championship, he did what he’s done every year they’ve made it, and that is take his entire team out for pizza. Clemson is matched up with the Notre Dame Fighting Irish at the Cotton Bowl in Arlington, Texas.

Notre Dame:

Notre Dame qualifies for the College Football Playoff for the first time in school history. Notre Dame specializes on the defensive side of the football, and can contain anybody in the country. The Irish are led by quarterback Ian Book, who had been dealing with injuries all year long. Notre Dame one of the rare teams who aren’t in a conference, will have not played in over a month when December 29 rolls around. Notre Dame looks to shock the world and knock off the Tigers in Arlington, as they are 11 point underdogs heading in. Brian Kelly will have his team energized for the big day in just a few weeks.

Oklahoma:

The Sooners are known for their skills in offense, but the one thing fans are concerned is about the way they play defense. In their regular season finale, they traveled to Morgantown and won a shootout 59-56. A game that featured little to no defense, and that could be a big problem when they step on the field with the Alabama Crimson Tide. On the offensive side, there is a Heisman Trophy Winner. Quarterback Kyler Murray is a multi-sport athlete, who’s currently deciding to pursue his baseball or football career. The Sooners will have to crack down on defense if they really want to stand a chance with the defending National Champions.

“I believe the Crimson Tide will retain their title, and I believe they will play Notre Dame in the national championship.” -Sophomore Grant O’Doherty said. The College Football Playoff is a tournament that excites fans from all over, and it should be one of one heck of a finish.

Jack McGonigal

Jack joined the Flightline in January of 2018. He is a senior this year, involved in Guardians, Skyhawks For Life and announces various sporting events at Skutt Catholic. Outside of school, he enjoys watching baseball, running and spending time with friends. You can email him at [email protected]