SkyHawks cruise past Monarchs

Skutt Catholic rolls Mercy in a Tuesday night battle

SkyHawks cruise past Monarchs

SkyHawks pose for team picture

SkyHawks pose for team picture

SkyHawks pose for team picture

SkyHawks pose for team picture

Jack McGonigal, Sports Assistant

The SkyHawks came into Tuesday Night with a 1-0 record, as they defeated Gretna this past Saturday. The SkyHawks knew they had a significant size advantage, and a lot of experience on the floor. As the game began, Skutt Catholic was in front from the get go.

The SkyHawks kept pouring it into their posts as McDermott and Krause had very many layup opportunities. The guard play did an incredible job in transition as many defensive rebounds were converted into fastbreak layups early on. After the first quarter, Skutt Catholic was ahead 21-9.

It was only the second regular season game ever for The SkyHawks under first year coach Kip Colony. Colony previously spent 11 seasons at Class A powerhouse Millard West, before taking four years off, and later being named the new head coach of Skutt Catholic. The energy grew as the game went on, as the Hawks knew this game was going to be a major confidence builder heading into their home opener Friday vs. Duchesne Academy of the Sacred Heart.

The halftime score was 45-14 and Skutt Catholic was cruising. Senior Center Sydney McDermott led the way in the scoring column for the SkyHawks, as Sophomore Forward Lindsay Krause was a close second.

As the second half was taking place, the SkyHawks kept doing what they had been doing all night and that was feeding it into their bigs which resulted in basket after basket. The SkyHawks would end up winning this one 67-27. Senior Sydney McDermott led the way with 27 in the game,

“Honestly I do not think any of us feel like we played our best last night. We didn’t have a lot of energy at the start, but once we got into our rhythm we did much better. Obviously, we had a height advantage therefore, Sydney and Lindsay had a lot of easy layups, but we ran our press break really well to set them up. This season is definitely a rebuilding year for us, and coming off a win like gretna made last night a little disappointing because we just did not play to the best of our abilities. We’re all still very happy about the win, and excited to show that we’re a team that can compete no matter what!”said Senior Guard Haylee Weeder.

The SkyHawks host Duchesne Academy Friday night in their home opener, as they compete to keep their season unbeaten.

Jack McGonigal

Jack joined the Flightline in January of 2018. He is a senior this year, involved in Guardians, Skyhawks For Life and announces various sporting events at Skutt Catholic. Outside of school, he enjoys watching baseball, running and spending time with friends. You can email him at [email protected]