Ukraine Declares Martial Law

Government passes law after Russia seizes ships, captures soldiers

Ukraine Declares Martial Law

Ukrainian President Petro Poroshenko petitioned for martial law in November, which was implemented last week.

Photo by Stepan Franko/EPA-EFE/Shutterstock

Natalie Pearson, Entertainment Editor

On Monday, November 26, 2018, Ukrainian lawmakers voted to introduce martial law in the border areas with Russia. The decision came after a naval skirmish between Ukraine and Russia near Crimea, over the Kerch Strait, a key waterway for both countries.

According to CNN, the Ukrainian military said that Russian boats “opened fire and seized three of its ships” as they were trying to pass through the strait to the city of Mariupol. Ukraine officials also said that Russia attacked them deliberately.

Russia’s Federal Security Service (FSB) Border Service offered a conflicting report, saying that the Ukraine ships had illegally entered Russia’s territorial waters.

“They did not respond to legitimate demands by the ships and boats of Russia’s FSB Border Guard Service escorting them to stop immediately and performed dangerous maneuvers,” said the FSB, according to Russian state news outlet TASS.

A 2003 treaty between the countries shows that the area is shared and guarantees freedom of navigation.

Ukraine and Russia have had a history with each other, however. The two countries have been locked in conflict ever since Russia annexed Crimea, a Ukrainian peninsula, in 2014, wherein Russian military invaded Crimea and took control of strategic positions and infrastructure.

During that time, over 2000 people were killed and more than 6000 wounded. 15,000 people defected to Russia. The President of Russia, Vladimir Putin, just recently finished building a bridge from Russia to Crimea, and opened it in May of 2018 amid much controversy.

According to an interview with Putin published in March of 2018, Crimea may never return to the Ukraine. “There are no such circumstances and never will be,” said Putin, in response to a journalist’s question.

Only 10 provinces in the Ukraine will be under martial law: those closest to the Russian border. Martial law means that all activities, including civilian, are placed under direct military control and ordinary law is suspended. Martial law will be imposed in these areas until December 26.

Natalie Pearson

Natalie became a member of the Flightline in August of 2017. She is a junior this year, involved in band. Outside of school, she enjoys watching movies and playing video games. You can email her at [email protected]