Advent Drive Commences and Competition Ensues

Students begin to collect donations in this season of giving.

Adella Smolsky, Birdfeed Editor

Skutt Catholic’s Annual Advent Drive has officially begun and students can start bringing in items for the homeroom competition.

“I think students should know that we really need their support in order for this to work,” said Ms. French. “This was intuitively a student lead initiative, three years ago it got started by a couple of students who just wanted to do good for the community and they wanted to have a big impact. And so I think it’s important to know that the only way that it succeeds is by students being involved and being passionate about,” French said.

Skutt Catholic has changed which charities the donations are given to based on student requests. Students wanted to know some of the children who are receiving the toys and educational items, so they are being sent directly to the Rosebud Native American Reservation where students from the Skutt Catholic service trip performed their service. Children that Skutt students played with for a week and bonded with will be the ones opening these gifts, benefiting from the educational items and using the coats, hats, and gloves that are sent.

For the first time, there is a more explicit option to bring in money to support some of the capital campaigns going on. The freshmen have always brought in canned food items for the Heart Ministry Center, but this year the center has asked the community for financial support to build their new, more extensive food pantry and service center. This was a need that was brought to students on Community Involvement Day.

A Skutt Catholic alumni informed campus ministry that in Rosebud they are building the Boys and Girls Club site in Parmelee, so they need money for their capital campaign. Similar to Skutt Catholic’s 6 million dollar capital campaign, there are other capital campaigns going on for non-profit organizations who don’t have the kind of resources that we have. “Students just need to know that we can actually make a huge difference,” French said. “Parmelee only needs 8 thousand dollars more in order to finish their capital campaign. That’s something that we could actually do if we get out there and ask people to help, and ask people who maybe have more than individual students have to help support,” said French.

Freshmen should bring non perishable food items, in particular, cereal and hearty chile. Students shouldn’t just bring the canned foods that nobody wants, they should bring non-perishable foods that they would want to eat themselves. Sophomores should bring in diapers and diaper wipes. Size four and five diapers are the biggest need, and count for double points in the competition. Juniors should bring in things that will keep the children warm, specifically: winter coats, hats, gloves, scarves, and warm socks. Seniors should bring in the items for Rosebud that they’ve requested, particularly new toys and educational items. There is a more specific list available online for students to reference.

Each grade has a different way that it is being scored. Homeroom Representatives were trained yesterday in our meeting so they can inform their peers more specifically. The team with the most points wins. For seniors, points are based on dollar value. If a student buys something on sale, they would get points for the market price, not the sale price. Juniors items are as follows: ten points for kids coats, five points for adult coats, two points for warm gloves, and one point for everything else. Sophomores will receive one per diaper that they bring in, except for size four and size five diapers, which are worth two points each. Baby wipes are worth five points per pack. Freshman will receive one point per item and one point per dollar. The exception to this is if freshman bring in heartier soups or cereal, in which case they will receive double the points because that is what the organization wanted more of.

Students should bring the items to their own homeroom teachers and should check with their homeroom teachers to see where they want the items because this is a competition between homerooms and each teacher has a particular manner in which they want to do the Advent Drive. The winning homeroom will receive breakfast, and the participating members within the homeroom will receive a dress down day.

The monetary donations will primarily go to the Boys and Girls Club of Rosebud South Dakota at their site in Parmelee, South Dakota. The toys will go to both the Rosebud Boys and Girls Club and the Shane and Noella RedHawk family. The diapers will go to Essential Pregnancy Services.

The advent drive has already begun and runs through December 20, but preferably junior and senior items should be brought in by December 14. Three different carloads are going up to the Native American Reservation, and two of them are going up the weekend of December 15 and 16.

Adella Smolsky

Adella joined the Flightline in January of 2018. She is a senior this year, involved in show choir, theatre and student council. Outside of school she is involved in Omaha Fashion Week. You can contact her at [email protected]