Two Trials Down, Two to Go

Mock trial team completes first day of state tournament

Two Trials Down, Two to Go

Exterior of the federal courthouse in downtown Omaha

Photo by Maddie Mollner

Photo by Maddie Mollner

Photo by Maddie Mollner

Maddie Mollner, Flightline Editor-in-Chief

Dec. 3, 2018 — Ten Nebraska schools gathered today at the Roman L. Hruska United States Courthouse in downtown Omaha to take part in day one of state mock trial. Skutt Catholic competed against York High School and South Sioux City High School in two preliminary trials that determine the teams’ placement in the third round of competition. “Today was really stressful but my teammates made it super fun,” said junior mock trial member Rachel Weland. The remaining two trials take place on Tuesday, Dec. 4 and consist of a semifinal and a final trial. 

Every team argues the same trial; their role as the prosecution or the defense is randomly drawn before the commencement of the trial. Each team must prepare arguments for both sides, as their stance is unknown until immediately before the trial. Teams generally consist of seven to eight people who portray the plaintiff or defendant, witnesses, counselors for the prosecution or defense as well as timekeepers.

The standing of the Skutt Catholic mock trial team is unknown until tonight, when a banquet is held to announce the results of the day. “I know tomorrow is going to be even more difficult than today, but I know that my teammates will make it so much fun that it won’t matter if we win or lose,” Weland said. 

Maddie Mollner

Maddie joined The Flightline in January of 2017. She is a senior this year, involved in cheerleading. Outside of school, she reads, collects flamboyant socks and hangs out in parks with her friends. You can email her at [email protected]