New Entryway Improves School Safety

Advanced technology and procedures provide a more secure entrance

New Entryway Improves School Safety

The school main entrance has been opened after months of construction.

Photo by Gracie Killgore

Photo by Gracie Killgore

Photo by Gracie Killgore

Gracie Killgore, Op/Ed Editor

After months of construction, Skutt Catholic’s main entrance has been opened. The new entryway was designed to promote safety for students and staff.

The original completion date of the entrance was September 17, but due to the large amount of rain and a delay of the entryway doors’ arrival, the date was pushed about a month back.

When walking into the entryway, two high top tables, low seating, and large pictures can be noticed. New trophy cases, expected to be delivered December 4th, will be placed beneath picture frames. The new open space is designed for students to spend time before and after school. These changes were made possible through donors and the school’s capital campaign.

The cost of the new main entryway was around 1.2 million dollars. The school received one million dollars from a single donor to have the project begin right away. “The welcoming commons area of the new entryway will be named after the donor and his wife, said Skutt Catholic president Jeremy Moore. “That dedication will be coming probably around Christmas time,” Moore continued.

By creating one lane for students being dropped off and two lanes solely for students walking into the building, the drop off process was changed to keep students safer when walking to and from their cars.  Additional sidewalks were also built for students to walk into the entrance safely out of traffic.

Only the door closest to the office is open to allow more security and prevent people from hiding in large groups; however, the more doors can be opened during sports or activities if necessary. LED lights were added to the top of the student parking lot, and additional lights and signage are scheduled to be added during the beginning of 2019.

When trying to get into the school at times except 6:30-7:30 am, students and visitors must press the button located near the door and state their name. After doing so, they will be buzzed into the vestibule and have to come into the main office due to the second set of doors. This set of doors prevents one from coming into the building without first going through the main office.

Photo by Gracie Killgore
A second set of doors prevents one from walking into the school without first checking into the office.

After November 22, a new check in system, called the raptor system, will be fully operational. Adults will be expected to give their driver’s license for a background check for sex offenders and criminals. After passing the background check, a pass will be printed for them, and they will be able to go out the door and into the school.

Visitors also have to check out of the office when leaving. “One thing that you have to be doing now is keeping track of everybody that’s in your building, so an in-out procedure is very important,” said Moore.

Along with two adults at the front of the office, a student is also there to assist the adults and provide directions to visitors. “These procedures help keep our school a little safer, keep our students safer, and help identify visitors coming in and out so that we know who’s in our building,” said Moore.

Students are now expected to check in and out of the office located in the newly built entrance, however, students may leave through the other doors after school. The office that was once the main office is set to be remodeled during Christmas break. The previous main office will be used for administrative offices. Mr. Meyers, Mr. Bailey, and Mr. Bantam are all expected to have offices located here. “We’ll be doing some learning activities in the administrative offices, and it will be a collaboration center for students and administrators to try and strengthen the bond between students and administrators,” said Moore.

Gracie Killgore

Gracie joined The Flightline in January of 2018. She is a junior this year, involved in tennis, HOSA and FBLA . Outside of school, she enjoys online shopping, hanging out with friends and watching Netflix. You can email her at [email protected]