Journalist Jim Acosta Banned from White House

Acosta’s press pass suspended due to “putting his hands on a young woman,” says Press Secretary

CNN reporter Jim Acosta had his

CNN reporter Jim Acosta had his "hard pass" suspended last week after a tense news conference on Wednesday, November 7. A hard pass allows its holder "access to areas designated for journalists in the West Wing, on Air Force One, and in other secured areas during presidential trips, which are routinely covered by the White House press corps."

Photo by Mandel Ngan/AFP/Getty Images

Photo by Mandel Ngan/AFP/Getty Images

Photo by Mandel Ngan/AFP/Getty Images

Natalie Pearson, Entertainment Editor

Last week Jim Acosta, CNN chief White House correspondent, was banned from entering White House grounds. After a heated news conference with the president on Wednesday, November 7, Acosta’s press pass was revoked.

This was a direct result of his attempt to keep control of the microphone during the conference, according to White House Press Secretary Sarah Sanders.

“Acosta put his hands on a young woman just trying to do her job as a White House intern,” said Sanders, according to NBC News. “His behavior is absolutely unacceptable.”

The exchange happened during a White House press conference on the 2018 midterm elections, wherein Trump started taking questions and called on Acosta. Acosta challenged Trump about his use of the word “invasion” to describe a migrant caravan currently making its way towards the U.S. southern border. He asked the president if he thought he had demonized immigrants.

Trump then said he wanted immigrants to “come in legally” and attempted to call on another journalist, but Acosta refused to hand over the mic. He asked the president about possible indictments by special counsel Robert Mueller based on the ongoing investigation into Trump’s presidential campaign.

Trump declined to answer, saying “that’s enough” and told Acosta to give up the microphone.

This was where the intern tried to forcibly take the mic away from Acosta, who initially resisted, but finally relinquished the microphone. Trump began to berate Acosta from the lectern, calling him a “rude, terrible person” and saying that he “shouldn’t be working for CNN.”

It was that evening that Acosta revealed on Twitter he was unable to get into the White House for his daily rounds.

Acosta and Trump have clashed before, such as in July of 2018 at a joint press conference in England, with England’s Prime Minister Theresa May. President Trump outright refused to take questions from Acosta, passing over him in favor of another journalist.

“CNN is fake news,” said Trump, according to the official transcript of the conference. “I don’t take questions from CNN.” He then motioned to Fox News correspondent John Roberts, saying “Let’s go to a real network. John, let’s go.”

Acosta then responded, “Well, we’re a real network, too, sir.”

Trump has petitioned to take away journalists’ credentials before, particularly Acosta’s, due to the way he behaved at multiple press conferences. The CNN journalist has drawn the ire of the president multiple times and it seems as though Wednesday’s conference was the last straw for the Trump administration.

As of Tuesday, November 13, CNN has sued President Trump and top White House aides for banning Jim Acosta. The company alleged that the White House had violated CNN and Jim Acosta’s First Amendment rights of freedom of the press and Fifth Amendment rights to due process.

In the lawsuit, filed in D.C. District Court, CNN attorneys asked for Acosta’s press pass to be immediately reinstated and protected. The attorneys named six defendants in the suit, including President Trump, chief of staff John Kelly and press secretary Sarah Sanders.

The lawsuit claimed that the decision to revoke Acosta’s press pass was an “unabashed attempt to censor the press and exclude reporters from the White House who challenge and dispute the President’s point of view.”

“While the suit is specific to CNN and Acosta, this could have happened to anyone,” said CNN officials, according to AJC. “If left unchallenged, the actions of the White House would create a dangerous chilling effect for any journalist who covers our elected officials.”

Update: The judge assigned to the CNN v. Trump case, Timothy J. Kelly, said he will rule on the case on Thursday, November 15 at 3 p.mThis article will be updated with the results accordingly.

Update 2: As of Friday, November 16, Judge Kelly has ruled in favor of CNN, and ordered the White House to reinstate Jim Acosta’s press pass immediately. Acosta will return to work as soon as the pass is restored.

Natalie Pearson

Natalie became a member of the Flightline in August of 2017. She is a junior this year, involved in band. Outside of school, she enjoys watching movies and playing video games. You can email her at [email protected]