Dr. Seuss’ “The Grinch” Receives an Upgrade

Animated family film brings new life into a beloved classic

The recently developed Grinch movie provides entertainment and holiday cheer.

Gracie Killgore, Op/Ed Editor

Going into the movie,“The Grinch,” I was skeptical of how it would compare to the original animated film, “How the Grinch Stole Christmas,” directed by Chuck Jones. My family and I typically view this film annually, and I am quite fond of the cartoon. The newest film surpassed my expectations and impressed me through its animation and individual details.

The animation illustrated in “The Grinch” is by the same team who animated “Despicable Me.” I enjoyed the bright and clear picture of the animation and was happy to see that it was similar to the illustrations in Dr. Seuss’ original story. The Grinch was voiced by Benedict Cumberbatch in the more recent animation. Although Cumberbatch’s voice isn’t as deep as Boris Karloff’s, who voiced the original short film, it is still effective in displaying the Grinch’s irritability. However, I still prefer Karloff’s deeper pitched voice to Cumberbatch’s.

The movie features a backstory of the Grinch and how he became so grumpy, which includes a scene of the Grinch spending holidays alone in a orphanage. This is more information about the source of the Grinch’s unhappiness than what was given in the original Grinch story.

Pharrell Williams voices the gentle narration by incorporating rhyming similar to Seuss’. This is a nice touch to the movie and helps it feel more like the original cartoon. The movie maintains a similar storyline while also incorporating unique details.

The new version of “The Grinch” contains a new twist on the first encounter between the Grinch and Cindy Lou. In the new version, the first meeting between them revolves around Cindy Lou’s request to Santa Claus to acknowledge her mother’s hard work. Cindy Lou believes she needs to meet Santa face to face instead of just writing a letter. In “How the Grinch Stole Christmas,” Cindy Lou first met the Grinch when she discovered him stealing presents from her house.

Not only is this movie a story about the Grinch, it also shares Cindy Lou’s story. The film depicts her friends and plot to achieve her goal of finding Santa. In the 1966 film, Cindy Lou wasn’t as major of a character.

There were a few negatives about the movie. The film that was originally around half an hour was expanded to an hour and 45 minutes. This made the film drag on a little, and parts of the movie felt meaningless.

The Grinch was also significantly nicer in the latest version, as opposed to the surly Grinch most are used to. The movie attempts to have the audience feel sympathetic towards the Grinch and his backstory. In my opinion, the especially sour and unpleasant Grinch was a more interesting character.

“The Grinch” allows today’s children to connect with the timeless story, however, I still believe “How the Grinch Stole Christmas” is the best version of the Grinch films.

Overall, I would recommend the movie due to its ability to instill Christmas spirit in people of all ages.

Gracie Killgore

Gracie joined The Flightline in January of 2018. She is a junior this year, involved in tennis, HOSA and FBLA . Outside of school, she enjoys online shopping, hanging out with friends and watching Netflix. You can email her at [email protected]