SkyHawks Capture Fourth Consecutive State Title

Skutt Catholic defeats Elkhorn South to win State Championship

SkyHawks celebrate fourth state championship

Jack McGonigal, Sports Assistant

The SkyHawks traveled to Lincoln this past weekend to defend their crown they’ve held for the past three seasons. History was on the line in many different ways. It would be the first time Skutt Catholic would win back-to-back-to-back-to-back state titles. There was only one girl that was a part of them all. Senior Lily Heyne and her teammate and the only other senior on the squad Sydney McDermott, who committed to Northwest Missouri State just this week, were true leaders on and off the court.

One of the keys to the tournament for Skutt Catholic was the late lineup changes made by head coach Renee Saunders. “I think it affected the team’s confidence in a positive way. Our team trusts Saunders and the decisions she makes. Everybody did what was best for each other, and we ended up playing our best volleyball at the state tournament.”  Senior Lily Heyne said.

The SkyHawks opened up with the Elkhorn Antlers Thursday Night. A team that was present at the district hosted by the SkyHawks, but these two teams never met. Both of the opening sets were fairly competitive but taken by Skutt Catholic. Junior Megan Skovsende and the two seniors, Heyne and McDermott were very involved in the team’s offensive scheme. Sophomores Allie Gray,  Shayla McCormick and Lindsay Krause played significant roles in what would end up being a 3-1 victory for the SkyHawks. That would set them up for matchup with River Cities Conference Rivals, the Duchesne Cardinals.

SkyHawk fans were in a bit of a pickle Friday night with both the volleyball and football team’s State Semifinal matches at different places…at the exact same time. Both contests were set for 7:00 and there were valid arguments on why you should attend the other one. Many students that went to an event attended the football game in the frigid temperatures, but the others tried to match Duchesne’s student section which consisted of basically every girl that goes to school there.

Skutt Catholic had to avoid the noise level of screaming girls, and focus on what’s important, the match itself. The SkyHawks took control from the get go, they worked as a team and conquered their goal as they shutout Duchesne 3-0.

Elkhorn South took care of their side of the bracket, and Skutt Catholic took care of theirs. They had only met once during the season, and the Storm won 3-1 in the District final. The SkyHawk students went with their annual state championship “Blackout” theme, while the so called “StormCell” got a little festive, and created a Christmas theme.

The SkyHawks are no stranger to the bright lights, and the statewide television attention. Elkhorn South felt confident coming in, but the experience of this level was a major factor in this game. Skutt Catholic lived up to the hype and accomplished their goal by bringing out the broomsticks, and sweeping the Storm three sets to none. Heyne and McDermott’s veteran roles played a major role, along with the talent of Skovsende and McCormick.

Skutt Catholic had made history. Lily Heyne is the first SkyHawk ever to win four state championships in a SkyHawk volleyball uniform. “SkyHawk volleyball is family. Everybody I have met along the way in this program is family, not just my two sisters I had the privilege to play with. With the help and hard work of every individual, we were able to make history.” Heyne said.

Even though Heyne and McDermott will not be a part of next year’s team, it’s still the same goal. The strive for five begins now.

Jack McGonigal

Jack joined the Flightline in January of 2018. He is a senior this year, involved in Guardians, Skyhawks For Life and announces various sporting events at Skutt Catholic. Outside of school, he enjoys watching baseball, running and spending time with friends. You can email him at [email protected]