Suncity is a Billet Doux to El Paso

R&B legend, Khalid, releases new soft and slow jams for every occasion

Khalid for Vogue Magazine in July of 2018

Photo by Ed and Deanna Templeton

Photo by Ed and Deanna Templeton

Emma Brisbois, Managing Editor

After American Teen, Khalid’s debut album, the artist’s presence was sorely missed by fans and lovers of R&B alike. American Dream was a mere glimpse into Khalid’s rocky love-life and younger years, but Suncity, the latest EP, offers an overflowing serving of his childhood culture.

The first track on Suncity, is titled 9.13. This 54 second mini symphony of sound bytes, smooth background vocals, and synthesizers reminisces about the day that Khalid was presented the key to the City of El Paso. This track is unique as it incorporates real sound from the day that Khalid was presented the key to the city and doesn’t actually have any of Khalid’s vocals in it at all.

In fact, throughout the album Khalid experiments with weaving in sound-bytes of spoken word into his background tracks, which is beautiful in its own way, but left me wondering why the young soul legend wouldn’t put his unique voice to use. I enjoyed the tracks altogether, but could’ve used more tracks like “Saturday Nights” which spotlights the singer’s smooth and unapologetic tone, describing a young disadvantaged woman struggling. Khalid offers her hope and care where her parents won’t, weaving a melancholy narrative that is present throughout the rest of the album.

“Salem’s Interlude” offered more sound bytes with another motion picture style soundtrack behind it. Although the meaning was there and drove home the same somber feeling that “Saturday Nights” had, the lack of vocals just couldn’t sell the track for me.

“Vertigo” however, is a thankful track that opens with a humming string section full of violin, viola, and cello that blends into synthesizers, in which full vocals flood into. Khalid’s rich vocals flood the track with powerful and reflective lyrics. In this track, the 20 year old begins to think back to the choices he’s made throughout his life and how it’s delivered him to the places he is today.

This album is definitely worth the five dollars, as it offers music for a more laid back and relaxed listening. Khalid’s latest release is a little something different that can appeal to everyone.

Emma Brisbois

Emma joined The Flightline in August of 2017. She is a senior this year, involved in cheerleading and show choir. Outside of school, she enjoys going to concerts, playing the piano and hanging out with friends. You can email her at [email protected]