Skutt Catholic Marching Band Succeeds at State Championship

Marching SkyHawks give rousing send-off to both season and senior

Members of the Skutt Catholic band program celebrate their success with a photo on Millard South's field.

Photo by Rosario Nelson

Photo by Rosario Nelson

Natalie Pearson, Entertainment Editor

Skutt Catholic High School’s marching band, as well as 16 other high school bands, assembled at Millard South Saturday for the NSBA state marching contest. Classes A, AA, B, and C participated. The band took 3rd place in the Class B division, and 12th place overall.

At first glance, the contest is just an annual spectacle of glitter, brass and sound as many students perform their last show of the season. For most, though, it is more than that. It is the final chance to perform a show they have worked on since summer and perfected within the last month of competitions.

This is especially true for drum major Maria LaSala, the only senior in the band.

She does not plan on doing band in college, so this year will truly have been her last season of marching band — and her bandmates wanted to make it one to remember.

“Everyone does something for their seniors,” said junior Megan Snow. “And Senior Night is a cool thing to do, but we wanted to something specifically for our senior. So now it was Maria’s turn to be the only senior, and I was like, ‘We need to do something for her!’”

Snow got the idea from previous years, where graduating seniors had been given gifts by their underclassmen at state. On Saturday, LaSala was surprised with flowers and a card signed by the rest of the band after the performance. After the awards ceremony, the band held up her cross country senior banner, whooping and cheering her name.

“It made me feel so grateful for all of them,” said LaSala. “I couldn’t stop smiling. I just love the people in band so much. I am really sad that the marching season is over because it’s my favorite part of band, but I still have the rest of the year to spend with this welcoming and fun group of people.”

Now that the marching season is over, the band will start preparing for their upcoming Christmas concert on December 2nd. Even more exciting things are in the works, as well, according to band director Ms. Rosario Nelson.

“I want to go and perform for middle schools this year, so that they know we have a band, and I’d like to do some brass, woodwind, percussion workshops for middle schoolers as well,” said Nelson. “I want kids to have music in their lives on a daily basis. The reason I promote it so much is because music connects your brain like no other thing. It’s cross-curricular.

“Plus, it’s very community building. It’s not just you, it’s an entire group. It’s kind of like a family, so that’s what I’m trying to promote, it’s like ‘This is a family, this is a healthy environment for you to be in.’ You’re going to be judged, but it’s to make you better. You are judged because you are loved.”

Natalie Pearson

Natalie became a member of the Flightline in August of 2017. She is a junior this year, involved in band. Outside of school, she enjoys watching movies and playing video games. You can email her at [email protected]